Expiring Lease - Swanson Oil and Gas

Thanks in advance for helping. Our 3 year primary lease expires with Swanson Oil and Gas tomorrow, 26 May 2020. There is no website for Swanson.

I haven’t hear from them so I attempted to contact the parties I negotiated with three years ago. The phone number of the Swanson contact in no longer in service, and I’m getting no response to email inquires.

What are my next steps? Again, thanks!

If you lease expires, you do not have to do anything. It expires of its own terms. If there has been no drilling, then you are free to lease again if there is interest. Given the current oil price drop, leasing may be slow for a while until things pick up again.

Thanks! Now I need to get the rights out of my deceased father’s estate and into my name and the names of my three siblings. Can I do it myself through the Caddo County OK clerk or do I need an attorney? I realize you’re not an attorney. Thanks!

Probably need an attorney to do it properly. Use one that is licensed for OK. There are several listed in the Directories above. They do not have to live in Caddo County.

Thanks! I’ll contact an attorney.

Dear BDavid: the County Clerks are prohibited by law from assisting you with legal matters. Preparing and filing a deed to transfer these interests that complies with Oklahoma law is probably not something you can do yourself. If you do it incorrectly, you may end up creating problems with your mineral title that will haunt you or your heirs later and will cost you more to correct than if you had hired an attorney to take care of it properly in the first place. For some things, it’s just better to hire an expert going in.

Thank you for your input!

This can usually be done using a probate process. Assuming no complications minerals can be placed in the heir’s names within about 3 months from filing of the probate. (usually quicker but Covid-19 has caused a backup of cases.)

Thanks for the follow up to my questions

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.