Except mineral conveyances of record

Hi, i recently bought some property in Oklahoma and I can’t figure out if the mineral rights were transferred as well. I automatically assumed we were going to own the rights as well but can anyone help me figure out if we do. A statement at the bottom makes me suspicious.

“EXCEPT mineral conveyances of record, if any.”

Can some people please point me in the right direction on how to figure this out.

You need to review the chain of title. If you went through a title company, you might ask for their abstract of title. Each deed affecting the property should be reviewed to see if a mineral reservation was made, or if minerals were deeded out, and how much, to see if any minerals remained when you purchased.

Thank you. We did go through a title company. The last time I talked to them they said the abstract is surface only and it would be $5,000 to certify to minerals.

Is it worth doing the $5,000 to see or is there a easier way to do this that cost less?

@Tsfreeman, you might be able to find a ‘landman’ in the county where you are now an owner to investigate the chain of title for you. I have done this in other states and the cost was certainly less than what you were quoted.

I do it myself, but I would never warrant to an oil and gas company on the lease. I just present it upon information and belief when they research the net mineral acreage.

That is what I would try first. It’s a great way to learn the history of your property. But I am in a very small county that has very little activity, I don’t have a full time job, and kids are grown.

Also, maybe ask for the title chain without certification?

Thank you! Went on our county’s land records website and what I found before that is it was owned by the seller’s construction company(nothing was ever built on it) then transferred over to the trust of the owner of the construction company. It had no excepts on the deed when transferred, then we purchased it from the owner.

You must take it back to sovereignty to be sure.