Estimating recovery of a reservoir

Is there a standard recovery factor for reservoirs in Blaine County? I have seen 10,20 and 30 % recently. Or does it all depend on the exact location?

Thanks Marc

Marc:

All reservoirs (formaitons) are different. In a very general sense, 10% recovery is a pretty realistic number for most reservoirs. All the shale formations are considered tight formations and will traditionally yield less, that is why so many wells are required to recover the hydrocarbons present.

Ok, I’m just noticing some sections or areas they are asking for more additional density wells than another section even though the other section shows less reserves. I’m sure there is a lot more to it and with time it all evens out, but it just struck me as odd to see the different number of wells being asked for.

Thanks Marc

Different numbers in adjacent sections “usually” happens because of the differences in thickness of the formation that is under review. There are other factors like porosity & permeability that are different thoughout the reservoir. You have hear the term “sweet spot”? That is when you have all the good things occurring at the same time in a certain location. The acreage next door may not have all of those same things.

1 Like

Yep, With the sophisticated equipment of today they can somewhat estimate what is down there and where and how many wells it will take for maximum recovery. In our section they figure it will take 9 wells, I see in some others they estimate 16+. Depends on pool, formation, density, and I’m sure many other things are taken into consideration.

It seems like there is still a bit of art mixed in with the science. I am also amazed the recovery rate is so low. This should make the future look very bright as the technology improves.

Marc

If you want to see some very good visual representations about the density of wells in Blaine, look up the most recent investor presentations from Continental Resources, Newfield, Marathon and Gastar to mention just a few. Blaine has at least five different shale reservoirs with different geologic properties. Some are economic now, some need higher prices. The density has to do with many factors including thickness, areal extent of the different reservoir, economics, rig availability and financing, etc.

I just went to the Unconventional Resources Technology Conference in Houston a few weeks ago. Horizontal recoveries a few years ago ranged from 4-7%. Now, they are hugging 10% as mentioned above. Lots of room for improvement with better technology along the way. Quite a bit of research going into enhanced recovery, Carbon capture, etc. Excited about the future.

2 Likes

I am wondering about how long well completion units are onsite to do the fracking, etc., on a two section well in Blaine County ?

From what I’ve observed 10 to 14 days and longer if they have problems.

I should further say that after the fracking process it takes a few days to clean up site and to hook up the production & testing equipment. They normally test around 30 days. Production normally starts the first day of testing.

Thanks Paul, Derby is supposed to come in soon just East of Canton, and complete the Pioneer 3_34-18N-13W.

Here is a really good description of frac’ing. It takes a bit longer than this describes if the well is a two section well as more stages are required. Also takes longer if they are doing a zipper frac of several wells. Good for a basic explanation though.

Thanks, Martha. Really appreciate this.

Yes, thanks Martha, that’s an easy read and clears some misconceptions up.