Escheated funds in OK

Continuing the discussion from Couldn't find me, really?:

I would like direct contact info for M Barnes regarding minerals in 5 OKcounties for which I received escheated funds from Ok. I need to purchase advice to clear title thru 3 probates into my name, in order to notify producers.

You need to contact an OK estate attorney to help you with this effort. However, the first thing to do is to contact each of the operators where you have production and ask what they are specifically going to require in order to transfer royalties to the proper heirs. Some companies make it easy but most do not and will require a probate as they need to make sure they are paying the correct heirs. If your mother was an OK resident, that makes it a bit easier. Usually an attorney will be able to probate all of the estates at once. If your mother was a resident of a different state, then the probates must be done in the first state and then a foreign probate filed in OK. I am not an attorney, but just finished three estates with out of state probates and then the foreign probates. This is the path we had to take. Be aware that you may have inherited minerals that are not currently producing and you will need to make sure they are included in the documents. After the probate is finished, the documents have to be filed in each county where minerals are held.

This is a rare instance where I need to disagree with one point that Martha made:

Actually, there does not need to be a home state probate before filing a probate in Oklahoma. Often there is no property in need of probate in the home state.

Oklahoma also provides a summary process for out-of-state mineral owners.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by reading or responding to this post.

1 Like

This is why Richard is the attorney and I am not! Thanks for the correction. This forum village works together!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.