Duties of a Oil/Gas Well Lease Operator

We made a lease with an inexperienced lease operator. Giving him the chance based on the knowledge we thought he had. We have a gas well repopened. We are finding that he knows much less than we thought. He does not keep any records of for example how much tubing was put in the well, and when my husband told him he should be keeping these records, he said no thats the drilling guys job to do that. We have a lot more problems, but if anyone knows how we could get a general list of duties of a lease operator, then we could at least start from there to get him on the right track, before we have to go legally.

Ms. Green, for clarification, you leased to someone trying their legs as an operator, reopeming an old well? Or did you lease to someone participating in someone elses reopening of an old well? I think this information may get some response flowing. In either evenyuality, I agree it would be foolhardy to not keep track of what is going in to the project, as it will have a direct bearing on how thick his wallet is. I hope he isn't an LLc. If you have to file suit, you wouldn't want it to be against a shell that has as it's sole posession, a pile of debts.

Valerie:

You didn't mention what State this activity is taking place, but in Texas, an operator is required to submit all downhole info, such as amount of replacement tubing, etc. in regards to re-entering existing wells. I would think that each State would have similiar rules in place regarding this type of activity. You should check with the regulatory agency in the State where this lease is located as the information should be public. Make sure you are dealing with the operator's office directly and not a pumper or contract service company representative of the operator.

Yes this is taking place in Texas. It is actually the Pumper that has been telling us that the Operator is supposed to be filing all kinds of reports to the Railroad Commission, which we know he has not been doing. And yes, this Operator has never been an Operator before, and did form an LLC before taking this on. It looks like a big mess, and we would like to get it under control before we have to go legally. We would like for him to just do what he is supposed to be doing, before the whole project gets shut down with fines to pay. He does not have money, he is working with the money two other investors besides my husband has put in, several times over.

Valerie:

You can always make a trip to the Railroad Commission District Office and request records on this well in order to verify what has been filed. The RRC has a website, if you understand how it works, but an assistent in the District Office will be able to assist you. You could also discuss this matter with the District Director in regards to what operations are occurring on this lease. If you would state the county where this well is located, I might be able to give you the city where the RRC District Office is located.

OPM, other peoples money and an LLc. Old story. I wish you luck

Well, I went on the RRC website and followed the instructions down to the production data query system and put in the info required and his LLC operating name came up and I put in the County as well and submitted it and it said no matches found. I take that as he has not been filing info as required. My husband said he will go to the RRC Office and see what he cand find out. We know we have a long road ahead of us with this mess. THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!!

Valerie:

As I stated earlier, the RRC office will be able to assist you in this matter.

valerie greene said:

Well, I went on the RRC website and followed the instructions down to the production data query system and put in the info required and his LLC operating name came up and I put in the County as well and submitted it and it said no matches found. I take that as he has not been filing info as required. My husband said he will go to the RRC Office and see what he cand find out. We know we have a long road ahead of us with this mess. THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!!