Drilling Spacing Units

This may be a stupid newbie question, but I inherited some mineral rights that include producing wells. I am trying to figure out a way to correlate my land/wells with what drilling spacing unit they are in. I’ve got riparian rights as well, so things are a bit confusing. What makes it more complicated is that there are 3 different operators - EOG, Slawson, and Hess that all have producing wells.

Does anyone know how I can make that correlation? I’m in Township 157, Range 91, Sections 29, 30, and 31.

Go to the oil and gas Division Website https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/ You can look up your wells and find out which spacing units they are in.

Taking this a step further for you. If you click on Ms. Barnes’ link and go to GIS Map Server, you’ll find the below (see map). There’s obviously room for 3-6 more wells in each unit. Do they get drilled? Probably…hard to say on what timeframe. Don’t want to overstep here, but there’s a common chain of title that shows you own in the below:

29: Lots 3-4 30: Lot 4 31: Lot 1

The acreages vary slighty but you can assume 40 gross acres for each lot. The math is as follows: mineral interest % * gross acreage = NMA * royalty / .125 = NRA *.125 / unit = NRI. The NRI is the “decimal” that shows up on your paystubs. The riparian rights are necessary because there is a lake here as shown, but it’s not going to change how much you own ie the gross amount of your Lots.

Untitled (43).pdf (1.1 MB)

Thank you for your help. I did confirm that I have interests in all three of the drilling units noted - each with a different operator. Interestingly, the Hess RS-Asdnes Unit only has 1275 acres (not 1280) which I am assuming has something to do with the riparian rights to the lake and possible survey errors for the original section or something like that.

I was able to tie the active/inactive wells for my property back to the map view - but what is interesting to me is ROSS 35-0331H that starts in 156N, 92W and appears to extend into the EOG James Hill Unit. Wondering if I would/should share in that wells production in a case like this where it covers more than one drilling spacing unit?

Correct, these are relatviely quite small lots. You can probably pull this from your deed:

29-Lots 3-4: 58.2 30-Lot 4: 5.17 31-Lot 1: 38

The Ross well is on a 640 E2-3-156-92 and W2-31-157-91. Lot 1 corresponds to the NENE so you’re probably not spaced into it. Each well can be spaced differently or they can drill a bunch on one unit ie hess in 28/29-157-91.

Thanks for all of this. Still learning how to be a responsible mineral owner! I did see that on the 12/14 NDIC docket that there is a case scheduled (#29640) for Hess to establish a standup 1920 acre spacing unit that if I understand correctly will encompass the acreage I own in section 31 - which the map shows as being part of EOG’s spacing unit. Am I correct in assuming that if this goes forward, I would now have an interest in a new (4th) spacing unit that would be overlapping with that of EOG?

Is there a way to get additional information on this, other than listening to the hearing docket on Youtube?

P.S. - I am starting to get letters from people wanting to buy my mineral rights, but am not planning on selling anytime soon.

Nice work on staying in tune to the pooling cases, sounds like you are well on your way! Again that looks like the W2-32, but you can expect there will be more in the E2-32…probably pooled with 1 & 12. Listening to the hearing docket seems more efficient that fighting through slog in the corporate land department :man_shrugging:

Not much you can do at this point but wait and see how the permits pop up, enjoy!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.