Drilling niobrara county wy?

Hi! My father recently passed away and willed 696.36 acres in Niobrara County, Wyoming to me and my brother. I’ve recently received two unsolicited offers to buy the property. I think I also own the mineral rights, but I have to research to be sure. In the meantime, I wonder if anyone has any insight about potential drilling interest in my area. The two good offers caused me to worry that maybe the buyers know something I don’t know.

It is: Township 38.0 N Range 63.0 W Section 22 County # 14

Thank you in advance for any help or advice! I have a lot to learn and quickly!

Welcome to the forum and condolences on the passing of your father.

Unsolicited offers are usually a clue that “something is up”, especially if more than one pops up. Buyers usually know more than new minerals owners since that is their business! Good for you for asking questions and going cautiously.

Make sure that you file your name and address and any probate/title documents in the county courthouse where the minerals are located. The will hopefully has a description of the section, township and range where the minerals are located. Here is a link to the map of Wyoming where you can hopefully find out if there is any activity near you.

Go onto the Wyoming Oil and Gas Commission site and see if you can find out anything more. Not my state of expertise, but someone else on the forum may be able to help.

http://wsgs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3f7ab99343c34bd3ac5ae6ac8c04d95a/

See attached. A few wells nearby (horizontal). Most activity is the the West but some companies have been poking around nearby. Powder river area is tough and companies seem to come back every decade to try and make it work.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.