Drilling future

Is there a way to find out if an operator is going to drill on your tract in the near future? A well was drilled in 2013 and has produced over 200,000 bbls. of oil and there appears to be 3 or 4 other locations on the property that could be drilled but operator has not done anything.

Since no one has responded to your post I’ll share some thoughts.

I’m assuming that 200,000 barrel producer you mentioned is still producing and your acreage is held by production as long as that initial well is producing. If that’s the case the operator is under no pressure to do anything. Unless they are willing to share information with you on their drilling plans, which would be pretty unusual, the only way to keep track of possible upcoming activity is by checking applications for new drilling permits that are filed with the Railroad Commission. Here is a link to that section of RRC’s website

http://webapps2.rrc.texas.gov/EWA/drillingPermitsQueryAction.do

Use the pull down menu at the upper right corner of that page to select La Salle County, and then enter dates in the blanks at the bottom of the page marked “Submit Date From and Submit Date To”. For example, use 01/01/2019 and 11/30/2019 to find all the permit applications filed in your county so far this year, but the period can extend as far back as the 1990’s. You can also fill in the operators name on that page if you want to see if any permits have been filed by the company that controls your lease.

Hit “Submit” and if a permit comes up that you are interested in seeing, click the highlighted numbers to go to the detail page. You can also check for new activity in your area by searching RRC’s interactive map of your county.

1 Like

Dusty1 thanks for the information and taking the time to respond to my post. I probably just need to sit on my hands for awhile and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Morris