Down spacing

I notice that oil producing companies working in Richland County are asking the Board of Oil and Gas Conservation for permission to drill three additional horizontal wells within the spacing units they are requesting for a single well. I understand that this is referred to as down spacing. The Vitt #31-17-1H well, mentioned elsewhere here, is a good example of this, as per the Whiting application for the Board hearing in Butte on April 25th, 2013. Does anyone know if such additional horizontal wells are being drilled anywhere in Richland County?

Richard Doyle

It is my understanding that they are doing it all over the county. They've got the permits but not very many have put the horizontals in yet in the Vitt well area. Seems to me, they don't have to be in a hurry since it will be held by production with a single line. If you look at the GIS map you will see that the horizontals are there in other areas.

Whiting applied for a permanent spacing unit and 3 more wells in Feb. for Simmers 4 21-30-1H. I believe these permits have to be renewed every year. Why would they apply for them if they don't intend to drill within the year? What is the meaning of a permanent spacing unit? Thank you.

Historically, multi-lateral wells were drilled in Richland County, but that is not the norm today across the Bakken. You are more likely to see multiple wells drilled from a single pad. Pad drilling is really just starting to pick up. Operators are quick to drill a single well and if it produces well are more likely to come back.

Look around you, if really good wells have been drilled, 300-500 b/d initially or better, you'll be a likely candidate for multiple wells.

P.S. The oil companies have to think about logistics. They often permit many more wells than they drill in the hope they'll need to drill them and knowing that everything doesn't always pan out.