Dormant Mineral laws in New Mexico?

Hello All, I have been looking into some oil and gas leases inherited a while back and they seem to just disappear some time after 1985? These were purchased in 1939. I suspect they went dormant. From my research and reading New Mexico oil and gas laws in regard to leases, I cannot find anything in this regard. Is there a dormant mineral law in New Mexico? Thanks in advance, MK

Are these mineral deeds or working interests in leases?

TD, these are mineral deeds. I may have worded it incorrectly in my original post. They appear to be on what is now State land, not Federal. MK

I have limited understanding of and experience with NM law. I think that NM has 3 different mineral categories - federal, state and private - which are somewhat checkerboarded in some counties. I have not heard of dormancy statue in NM. Oil and gas activity varies from county to county and there have been decades of limited activity. If you post county and legal description, you will get more informative answers as to these minerals.

1 Like

Thank you TennisDaze. I think I am at the point of hiring an attorney in New Mexico. First I have to fight with a company here in Texas about another area in the Permian. A never ending minefield of things to do, all while trying to understand what things are in this industry. :slight_smile: Much appreciated for your input. MK

I can confirm there is no dormant mineral statute in New Mexico or anything else that would deprive a mineral owner of its interest (except a small exception for adverse possession where the minerals and surface are still owned together, but it is not likely the case here).

1 Like

Thank you for that information and confirmation, MK

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.