Don't forget minerals when funding your trust, like Bing Crosby did

Bing Crosby died in 1977, he had a Trust. As most of us know a trust is designed to avoid probate. But there was a problem with Bing’s trust, his minerals were left out. Almost 40 years later Bing’s grandson had to probate the estate in Oklahoma to get the minerals into the trust. I experience many occasions when a client’s parent had a perfectly good trust, but minerals were left out. The result is often a probate that could have been avoided. A deed from the parent to the trust or trustee could have avoided this problem. If you have a trust, you want to make sure that it was funded with a recorded deed.

A trust works kind of like a wagon. Thing put in the wagon avoid probate. Things left out may require probate.

2 Likes

I have some minerals that remained in my trust and never went directly to me. How do I find those?

You should start with the trust, also land records where the minerals are located. There should be a legal description that you can find. Good luck

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.