Does Probate verify title

Citizens energy sent a check to my deceased mother in May 2022. After months of correspondence, sending documents and filing final decree of probate with County Clerk-Citizens energy claims the $200 they originally had on hold I am not entitled to and minerals were sold in 2017. My mother passed away June 2021 and received 3checks from Triumph/Echo Energy in 2021. Why do these companies not transfer ownership records? Minerals granted to my mother from her parent’s in 1999 and 2001, listed on her probate are being deemed unsalable. I have repeatedly been told they can not find where they were titled to her. I have offers to buy these minerals dating back to 2010. I feel I am being hoodwinked

To your headline, no a probate does not confirm the ownership of minerals, or anything else for that matter. A probate can only convey what a decedent owns & nothing that it doesn’t. You need to search the county records and obtain the documents wherein your mother or her predecessors obtained title to the minerals in question and bring the title forward including documents wherein they may have disposed of them.

You can search for Blaine County records online back to September 1997 here:

Blaine County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

Companies do not typically monitor land records or probate orders for deaths or changes of ownership. If this has occurred it is up to the new owner to reach out to the companies.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.