Does a lease expire if it is not producing?

I have an oil lease that I inherited from a family member. They signed this lease many years ago, before the year 2001. It produces a minimal amount. At what point does a lease expire? How would I find out if the well is shut in? Is there somewhere I can look to see if it is even in an area that has potential to produce more?

Thanks in advance for the help.

As long as the well is producing, the lease is still in effect. If you post the state and county and a location, someone on the forum may be able to point you in the right direction to look up production.

The location is in Loving County. It is in section 87, Block 33.

I want to know if Oxy still has a current lease since I have not received a revenue check since 09/2020.

Also, I received an offer from a company to purchase the mineral rights. Is there somewhere I can look and use as a reference to see if the price they offer is reasonable?

Thank you for your help.

You can access well information at the Texas Railroad Commision website using the GISviewer or online research queries,

I’ll try that. Thanks for the tip.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.