Doddridge county West Virginia

I am going to ask a really dumb question…I inherited mineral rights on 31 3/4 acres in Cove District, Doddridge County, West Virginia.

Who owns the land…my relatives settled there in 1832 and had a home.

No one has responded to your question so I’ll make some suggestions although I’m not familiar with West Virginia. If you are trying to find the name of the current surface owner of the land where you hold the mineral rights you can either research that through the County tax assessor’s office or the county deed records.

Below is a link to the Doddridge County Tax Assessor. On their homepage, at the upper right side click the section marked Interactive Map, then check that you accept the rules about using their site and it should take you to a map where you can zoom in to find the Cove District and see the individual tax parcels. Before you start that search try to find a legal description, survey name or other identifying information on the land where your minerals are located.

If you don’t find what you need through the tax assessor, below is a link for the County Clerk’s office. At the bottom of their home page click the symbol that says County Records Inquiry and it should take you to a page where you can search by individual’s name (enter the relative’s name you think retained the mineral interest) or by the legal description of the property. If you can locate where the mineral interest was reserved you can then try to follow the chain of title from that original owner of only the surface down to the current owner.

You should also try posting your question under the section of this forum that covers that county. You can do that at the top of this page by clicking Counties, then scrolling down to West Virginia and then Doddridge County. Hope that helps

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.