Do wells just dry up suddenly?

I have mineral rights in two parallel 2 mile long wells about a year old. Suddenly they went from producing like gangbusters to one operating only two days in Nov and the other one zero days. I am curious why this happens. Did they just dry up? Did the pumping mechanisms break down? Are they saving the oil with plans to sell later for $150 a barrel? Or this just routine well maintenance?

It can be really any of those things and more (in 2022 it is most likely not due to “drying up” unless the well is being P&A’d). Sometimes it can be shut it in due to frac-hit, offset drilling, if its somewhere cold it can be due to operating costs in the winter, etc. Most of the time it only occurs for a few months at most. If you have the well info it can help to check and see what might be going on in the filings.

Lea Cty NM wells 30-025-46976 and 7

Alright so quick look; those wells are the Black Marlin Fed 204H and 214H (Orange and highlighted).

Offset of those wells there are a number of DUCs (drilled uncompleted) wells. I.e wells that have been drilled but not completed. The wells were drilled in Aug of last year and it looks like your wells lowered production in Oct of last year. I can try and find if the frac crews were on site but I would assume your wells lowered production to complete these DUCs at first pass. Could be really good news if you are in those units as well as it would mean new D.O and royalty checks. Hopefully that helps with a quick look.

2 Likes

Wow thanks so much for the good news! Really good news! That map shows EIGHT new wells on my mineral rights! I was aware of the 4 permitted in sec 18, but my research showed no activity whatsoever on those sites. I have rights on the section 7 directly above and that is the other two or three. I had suspected close by fracking but could not verify any of that. Needless to say your research is more than enough reasons to do my happy dance. THANKS A LOT!! While studying that map, look at sec 12. Is that really wells crossing each other?

Section 12 well crossing could just be a bad bottom hole tbh. I took a look and it looks like the Dogwood well to the East has a frac crew on it right now. Needless to say lots of activity in the area which is exciting. Congrats!

PhillD, what software did you get that map from?

Drying up is a perspective. a rule of thumb one an say a well’s liv=fe may average 10 years. Although some wells can produce for many decades like the discovery well by Standard Oil circa 1925 Hobbs NM. It was just plugged about 15 years ago. However, a well with lucky owners may do well for the first 2 years, then step down to the next plater making half of that for 2-3 years, then another step down half of that and so. An Operator decides to fracture or re-complete a well and production can shoot up again staring the decline cycle again. Over the years, from what I have seen, ‘we’ in this country are recently going for the throat to get oil. We have wells literally draining oil on top of one another. Conserving it -which regulating departments are sup[posed to be doing, is going out the window. The oil remains in the rock, getting it out is the trick. At the rate we are consuming it, it won’t take long before these horizontals start plateauing on their decline as well. When someone says we should make all the oil we can and supple all our allies with energy is talking pie in the sky bs. We need to conserve to some extent what we have. Our strategic reserves is really in case our military needs it -not to alter the price at the pump. If anyone has any minerals they are interesting in selling, I would love to talk about it. These mediocre to big independents have sold a many USA minerals to the Chinese companies right out of West Texas. People should be concerned where their mineral ownership is going when selling to these big companies.

1 Like

Thanks, see my responses in topic “How Long Does Fracking Take” for more information.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.