Do I own minerals here

I believe I have mineral rights in McClain County 19-9n-4w. How do I go about checking this? I have other mineral rights in McClain 20-9n-4w that I was unaware of until I was contacted by a landman who searched for me and helped me take care of all the paperwork. At the time he said it looked like I had these other mineral rights but he was only contracted to take care of 20-9n-4w. How do I go about checking if I do indeed have the mineral rights to 19-9n-4w? Thanks for any advice

If he helped clear up title to the first set, did he give you copies of the title information or tell you if it was from a will or trust? A good website to try is www.okcountyrecords.com. Look up your name, your ancestor’s name. It is free to look and inexpensive to print.

1 Like

Here is the search page for McClain County McClain County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

Martha - I saw one of your comments (and then could not find it) regarding if you were to consider selling some interest then you should vet The offer with x months of potential income among other things… if you can resend that to me it be useful now and when I pass along info to our kids who will be inheriting our interests in Oklahoma.

In the “old days” of conventional vertical wells, a standard rule of thumb was four years of oil revenues and seven years of gas revenues. However, with horizontal wells, that goes out the window since the majority of the production volumes and revenues are received in the first two or three years, but the wells can go on for decades and decades. It would be wise to have your estate pay for an engineering evaluation if you have a significant number of wells so that your heirs will have an accurate date of death value. Then if they sell, they will have a value for the IRS and capital gains purposes. If they wish to contemplate selling versus keeping, then they will have better data to help with their decision.

1 Like

Yes, I have a copy of the court paperwork that shows both sec 20 and sec 19. Only sec 20 was transferred to my name because that is what the landman was hired to take care of. Can I transfer sec 19 to my name on my own or do I need to hire someone for that? Thanks in advance!

You are probably talking about an “affidavit of heirship” if a landman assisted you. This would not be a court document. Instead, an AOH is a notice that you are claiming the property which requires 10 years to ripen into “marketable title”. Often this is used when a lease is sought but is often insufficient royalties become due. Most companies in Oklahoma require a probate if the AOH has not been on file the required 10 years.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.