Do I need a landman?

Hi to all,

I am VERY new to this forum and also to the "mineral owner" arena. I have a deed dated in 1949 that shows that my husband is the owner (from his dad) of the minerals on a particular plot of ground. I have gone to the County clerk and checked books. There are no signs that the minerals have been sold to anyone else. I have told my attorney this but he says I need a landman to research this deed. Is this true? Also, do I need to find the abstract for this mineral deed? I am in Garvin County Oklahoma. I realize this is question after question, but I am VERY confused about this whole matter. There are wells on the place but we have NOT gotten any checks from the oil company. When I inquired with them, they tell me they do not show us as royalty owners.

Thanks for any help you can give as I am not a big fan of the "oil companies" in general, although I 'guess' there are some honest ones out there.

Mary

Mary, what is the names on the deed your referring to? What section, township and range? Let me know and I’ll take a look for you.

Hi Mineral Joe,

There are 2 different deeds in question:

1. Garland H. Hope is the name on both deeds.

Sec.9, 3N, 2W

2. Sec. 21, 4N, 2W

I can email a copy of the deeds if that will help. There are some other coordinates on them.

Mineral Joe said:

Mary, what is the names on the deed your referring to? What section, township and range? Let me know and I'll take a look for you.

You have issues with both tracts? There are wells in both tracts that the operators of each well say you don’t own any minerals in? I am a little jealous after seeing all the mineral tracts in Garvin you own or conveyed in 96’, I have been purchasing minerals in Garvin and in Carter, Love and Murray. Back to your problem, are you certain the minerals you say you own are in the well spacing? looks like 2 wells in 9 and 3 in 21 that are in different quarter sections and 40 acre spacing so your minerals would need to be within that 40 acre spacing. Have you verified that with your legals that they are within those 40 acre tracts the wells are in?

See, that is my problem. I am not sure. The deed has various coordinates such as:

SW 1/4 of NE quarter and N 1/2 of SE quarter of NE quarter and SW quarter of SE quarter of NE of Sec. 21, 4N, 2W. And then it says we have 2 and 1/2 acres interest in this.

I am Lost as a GOOSE!

Mineral Joe said:

You have issues with both tracts? There are wells in both tracts that the operators of each well say you don't own any minerals in? I am a little jealous after seeing all the mineral tracts in Garvin you own or conveyed in 96', I have been purchasing minerals in Garvin and in Carter, Love and Murray. Back to your problem, are you certain the minerals you say you own are in the well spacing? looks like 2 wells in 9 and 3 in 21 that are in different quarter sections and 40 acre spacing so your minerals would need to be within that 40 acre spacing. Have you verified that with your legals that they are within those 40 acre tracts the wells are in?

PLEASE FOLKS!! I understand the excitement of your possible windfall of "found money" and I realize all the freedoms and possibilities that may be provided to you by these, but before you make YOUR decision please watch the documentary "Gas Land"..…

Thank You

Mary, do these deeds have the recording stamps on them? That would be most helpful. I recommend that you fax copies of the deeds to the operators of the producing wells to give your inquiry a bit more punch. Also, depending on the number of mineral acres conveyed under this deed you may ask the division order analyst to see who is shown with an equal number of acres to that conveyed. I wonder if they have any suspensed interests in the wells under which you may have ownership. I am located in Tulsa if I can help you further would be happy to. You might stop into the county clerk’s office for Garvin or wherever land is located. Find a nice landperson and request assistance. It should not take long. Your atty is doing you a favor referring you to a landman as we charge significantly less. Also the personnel in the county clerk’s office may assist you. It sounds relatively simple. Interests may also pass through an estate (or probate), not only deeds.