Division Order Signature

I have been told it is not necessary to sign a Division Order in North Dakota. I have read on this forum the Division Order should be returned to the oil company via certified mail. Should the mineral owner make any notations on the Division Order/signature line or just confirm the personal information is correct and return unsigned?

You can choose to write a letter instead that states your name, address, description of the acreage and confirmation that the decimal amount is correct and add the very important verbiage that “no terms of the lease are to be changed in any way and you are not ratifying an oil or gas contract”. Return by certified mail return receipt requested. Keep a copy of everything and put in your files. (Note: I am not attorney, this is merely a suggestion.). If this is the first time you are receiving royalties from this particular operator, you need to send back a current W-9. Check that the date at the top left is the most current one put out by the IRS. Then the operator will not take out federal taxes for you, but you will have to pay them on your federal form.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the prompt and thorough response. Much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.