Division Order - Different Total Acres

I received a Division Order to sign. I checked the calculation of the division amount. The number agreed with my acreage divided by the total pool acreage (397 acres) per the detailed property listing. Then I looked at a supporting “Division Order Exhibit” and the total acreage listed was 330 acres. I called the oil company (Marathon). They said that it will take 1 to 2 months to investigate and I received a case number.

Does it make a difference If I sign the Division Order and send it in? I assume that if the lower acreage number is correct, they will make the adjustment.

If you are in Oklahoma you do not have to sign or return a Division Order, but explain to them why you are not returning it.

If in another state like Texas that requires DOs, you should visit with an attorney regarding your options. Especially if the company is asking you to certify the decimal .

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

If you post the name of the well (and API if possible) and legal description (state, county, section, etc), then someone may know about this well or unit and the acreage. If you own minerals under the 330 acres and not under the other 67 acres, it is possible that the D.O. analyst only listed your minerals and not the entire unit. I have received quite a few division orders with incomplete descriptions. You can add the full reference to the division order yourself and note that the DOI is based on the 397 acres.

I wasn’t thinking. I went on to the Railroad Commission of Texas webpage and found the “P-12 Certificate of Pooling Authority.” It shows the 397 acres upon which the division order was calculated.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.