Division Order Carter County

I received a Division Order for Carter County Sec 19-1S-3W and I have no record of ever owning any mineral rights in Carter County. I do own mineral rights in other Oklahoma counties that I inherited from my father. I searched the Okcountyrecords and couldn’t find anything for me or my father in Carter County. All of the mineral rights I own in Oklahoma are also owned by my two siblings in equal portions. Neither of my siblings are listed on the owner list attached to the division order. The operator is Wild Outdoors and the payer is EnerWest Trading CO. I’m not sure how to verify if my ownership is correct or not.

The best thing to do is contact the operator and ask them why they think you are a mineral owner as you have no records indicating any ownership. Ask them nicely for a copy of the paragraph from the title opinion that states your title information. Explain that your siblings inherited equally, so they should have been included if they are in the same title chain. Mistakes do happen, so it might be a similar name but wrong person or something along those lines.

Thank you for that suggestion, Martha! I’d never thought about asking them about the title opinion. I know the oil companies have access to a lot more info than I know anything about.

They will not give you the entire title opinion as that is confidential and costs $$$, but asking for your paragraph will make them look for you and figure out if you really are a mineral owner. I have had success in asking nicely, especially when trying to clear up a title issue.

Thanks for this advice. I sent a request asking for verification of the title opinion. I also found three other owners listed on the Division Order with the exact same revenue decimal as me. When I pulled their mineral deed there was a fourth person listed that wasn’t on the owner list, so I must have been added instead by mistake. Maybe a typo of the owner number. It will be interesting to see if I get a reply.

Once you get an answer, that will lead you to the next step. In OK, you do not have to sign a Division Order to get paid. But they do need your correct address and a W-9. So come back and I can help with the wording on that letter if needed.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.