Division order and ratification of lease

i need HELP! i rec’d division orders for wiener CV 3H and wiener CV 4H - 778.67 ac +/-P.R. wilson survey, A-750; S.K. youngblood survey, A-791; S.W. mimms survey, A-449; and Daniel Baker Survey, A-83 in panola county,tx from Petroquest. then a few days later i recd ratification of oil,gas and mineral lease from a landman with Whiterock Resources,LLC representing Rockcliff Energy Operating, LLC. this ratification only mentions 40.00 acres, more or less, s.w.mimms, A-449. what is going on

Are you aware that you own minerals or is this news to you? A little more background will help with where to start an explanation

Have a good one~

i am aware that i own minerals

First look at the legal description in your lease. Is it for the 40 acres or for a larger tract. Is Rockcliff your original lessee or has Rockcliff acquired your lease? Are your minerals HBP by any other wells or is this the first well drilled? If this is the first well, was it drilled during the primary term of the lease or possibly after the lease had expired? If this is an older lease, was all of the acreage or depths held by the existing well? Or had some minerals or depths expired under the lease provisions? It is important to understand your written lease. Email the landman and ask why Rockcliff is asking for the ratification. It is best to get written answers to questions to prevent misunderstandings about what was said.

Second, the division order covers all of the tracts under which the horizontal wellbore crosses. You likely own minerals under only one or some of these tracts. Did you verify your royalty decimal in the well? The calculation will be different if this is a unit well or if it is a sharing or allocation well between units or if it is an allocation well among non-unitized tracts. Is all of your leased minerals included in the unit or only a portion of your acreage?

Third, take your time to read and understand the terms of these legal documents before you sign. You want to make sure that they do not alter or amend the terms of your lease in a manner which is unfavorable to you.

1 Like

where can i get a copy of the original lease?

Leases are recorded in the county deed records. It will be in the names of the original lessor (mineral owner) and lessee. If you did I not sign the lease, the you need to search back through the deed records under the name of your predecessor(s) in title. Many newer leases will only have a memorandum of lease recorded and the lessor and lessee have the signed originals. You can ask the landman to email a copy of the recorded lease for your files. Besides the original lease, there could be amendments over the years and you need to keep copies of those too. If you inherited the minerals, then the estate records may provide you with the recording information, such as book and page, date of lease and original lessor and lessee. There are a number of topics and threads on this forum which describe how to search deed records and how to organize your permanent files, for your use and for your heirs.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.