After reviewing all of my revenue statements from 2008 to present, my accountant and I have found the following "anomalies" and discrepancies, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what/why or sees the same on their statements:
1. Comparing production amounts of both gas and condensate om my statements to what was reported to TRC, we see that what was reported to TRC exceeds what was reported on the statements by 5% to 12% every month. The ONLY few times TRC and my statements ever listed the same production amounts is when there was no production that month.
2. The amount of the DISCREPANCY in #1 climbs month by month, for varying periods, until it drops to closer to 5% and then repeats the climb. To be more specific, it ALWAYS increases over the previous month until one month it drops, and then the increasing discrepancy resumes. (In other words, the total production amount on my statements becomes less-and-less than what was reported to TRC as several months go by, then it will "reset up" to about 5% less, and then resume the same downward procession.)
3. Statements will have NEGATIVE gas and condensate production numbers on some lines, thus negative dollar amounts in my revenue column. Negative production??? They're injecting gas into the ground???
4. Statements will have a positive production amount with its respective positive revenue amount on one line, then negative production and revenue of exactly the same amount on the next line; they're putting it on, then taking it off.
5. My lease limits my exposure to expenses to "wellhead stuff" like separation, drying, compression, etc, and caps my exposure at 5%. A couple of years ago I caught the current operator (Sabine) tacking on transportation and marketing expenses, and after challenging them they credit me with about $3000 on the next statement. Their incredibly lame "excuse" was that when they took over from El Paso they simply hadn't reviewed any of the leases. On all statements going forward from then, we don't see any T&M expenses listed, but the "wellhead-related" expenses are close to the previous total expenses; it's as if they rolled T&M expenses into wellhead expenses.
Beyond these seeming-anomalies, I'm interested in learning about all the ways operators/producers rip off mineral owners. Has anyone come across a site or sites detailing the ways we mineral owners are being stiffed, and how to identify and expose these criminal activities?