Discovering lost mineral rights in ND

Greetings, folks.

I have a buddy whose father bought mineral rights for numerous plots of land in North Dakota. He purchased them generally around Burleigh and the adjacent counties. The purchases were in the 1960's. His dad died in the 1970's and the kids never located the paperwork. Any suggestions on how he can locate the rights and reassert his ownership? Thanks alot, Mike McDougell

If your friends father recorded the deeds at the courthouse, that is where you will find them, if no surface owner has claimed them through the dormant minerals act. The dormant minerals act says you must claim or have used [leased, borrowd against and so forth] or the surface owner may succeed to your minerals under their surface. Burleigh doesn't seem to be an active county, so the minerals are probably unreclaimed, but if your friend has something in an area with oil activity I would work on that first. Wish him luck.

Thanks alot.

r w kennedy said:

If your friends father recorded the deeds at the courthouse, that is where you will find them, if no surface owner has claimed them through the dormant minerals act. The dormant minerals act says you must claim or have used [leased, borrowd against and so forth] or the surface owner may succeed to your minerals under their surface. Burleigh doesn't seem to be an active county, so the minerals are probably unreclaimed, but if your friend has something in an area with oil activity I would work on that first. Wish him luck.