Determining who ends up with your mineral rights

Very confusing. Thank goodness for this forum. Even though I read it regularly, I am still mostly confused about most everything to do with my mineral rights.

Does anyone have anything to say about Premier Land Services out of Michigan? Sounds rather uninformed but, they are not the actual company to drill, are they? I ask because their name seems as if they may just be landmen services to acquire leases. If the company I originally signed a lease with has passed (sold) on the lease to another entity, how do I determine who that might be? My concern is I have moved since signing the lease and want to ensure they have the correct address.

If it has been sold than there should be record of it. Call the local county to find out if there has been anything recorded or if not where else they could refer you to so that you can find out. Also contact the previous lessee and see what information they have on who your new contact is or should be.

Thank you

Ike Taylor said:

If it has been sold than there should be record of it. Call the local county to find out if there has been anything recorded or if not where else they could refer you to so that you can find out. Also contact the previous lessee and see what information they have on who your new contact is or should be.

Hi Suzanne,

Great to see you utilizing this forum as it is one of the best. There are a plethora of brokerage companies out there that are hired by major drilling companies to acquire leases in their target area. This is because of knowledge, costs, and secrecy. When a major oil company hires a brokerage they are doing this because the brokerage company is usually located in the area that they are interested in drilling and so they tend to know the area a lot better. By hiring a brokerage company the oil company does not have to spend thousands on transportation and housing, plus it doesn't take people away from their homes and families. Another big reason that companies hire brokers is so that their competitors don't know what or where they think there is oil & gas. If I was working for Shell for example and Conaco got wind of it then they would be out there trying to beat me to the punch.

I hope this helps and look forward to chatting with you again soon Suzanne.

Have a wonderful day.

Alexander Newell