Determining mineral rights

Pardon my blatant ignorance, but I own a small (20 ac) tract of land in Colorado County, Tx west of Columbus. What's the 'best way' to determine what (if any) minerals might be attached?

Got a solicitation from Devon to conduct seismic surveying on the property (2nd time in the last 5 years, though the first time the client wasn't identified), so clearly someone thinks their may be something out there worth taking a look. My guess would be expansion of the Eagle Ford, but can't say for sure.

I am a certified landman. You can reach me at 918-625-7355 if you have not had your question answered.

I am a certified landman. You can reach me at 918-625-7355 if you have not had your question answered.

The "best" and probably cheapest way would be to go to the county clerk's office in the county where the land is located and check the land records to see if the previous owner owned the minerals when he sold the land to you. If he did, and didn't reserve or except them from the deed to you, then you likely own them.

You would also want to look for previous reservations prior to the previous owner if its inconclusive as to whether they were owned when sold to you.

A "running title" primer can be found on my web site at the following link:

http://www.mineralhub.com/2010/04/how-can-i-locate-who-owns-the-mineral-rights-under-my-land/

It will at least give you an idea of what's involved. You can of course hire a professional to do this as well, but it will cost you $300/day or more in some cases.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM RPL
Timbercreek Mineral Company, LLC
http://www.mineralhub.com

Thanks for the reply. Dug out my 2 warranty deeds (2 tracts) and neither has a reservation on the sale to me. But, the title company did make note of several prior reservations/easements/O&G lease activity in the past, but don’t know what is current and what is not. Is this something I should have a landman determine?

Dear Mr. Price,

I see you are in Houston. If it were me, next time I went to Austin, I would stop in Columbus and ask some landmen if they would like a quick ticket. Pay a flat rate of no more than $100.00. If you have your deeds with you, they could determine your interest pretty quickly.

If you need the information quicker, call the County Clerk and ask the deputy to page a landman to the phone.

If you do not need the information so quickly, I would just wait until someone approached me for a lease and then tell them that I wanted a copy of their runsheet and mineral ownership breakdown.

Mr. Cotton,

Is it a customary request to the landman for a copy of his runsheet and mineral ownership breakdown? I would have thought that was a list he would rather not have me get unless I want to pay someone to search for me. The reason I ask is that my ancestors' minerals have been divided and willed out of the family and I'm curious who has them.

Thanks,

Oil Duchess
Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Mr. Price,

I see you are in Houston. If it were me, next time I went to Austin, I would stop in Columbus and ask some landmen if they would like a quick ticket. Pay a flat rate of no more than $100.00. If you have your deeds with you, they could determine your interest pretty quickly.

If you need the information quicker, call the County Clerk and ask the deputy to page a landman to the phone.

If you do not need the information so quickly, I would just wait until someone approached me for a lease and then tell them that I wanted a copy of their runsheet and mineral ownership breakdown.

Best,

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

Mr Cotten

Right now, I'm being solicited for permission to conduct seismic work. Haven't ever been approached about an actual lease, and if the minerals have been previously detached/severed, I don't suppose I ever would be, would I?

As far as Columbus landmen are concerned, any you would recommend that I could call to discuss this matter? I do have copies of the deeds, so mucking around to locate those wouldn't be an issue.

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Mr. Price,

Best,

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com