Deeded Mineral Rights vs Pooling

Learning about our inherited mineral rights and here is a question I do not understand.

Just received a division order from EOG about wells drilled and have been producing. Looked up the units at Texas RRC and found them to be outside of the mineral deed defined boundary. I do not know why that is. Any advice?

Second, I understand these wells are in a pooling agreement, so I went t Montague County online records search, but cannot successfully use their system to locate the pooling agreement. Any other sites I can go to search and retrieve these pooling agreements?

Thank you

Im not sure what you are looking for exactly (are you looking to find your heirs’ lease in the agreement?) - the pooling agreement will typically be recorded in the County Clerk’s records (possibly available online). You might find your well’s unit plat which might show the tracts pooled with your tract on the RRC GIS site. However if you don’t know how to use it very well, it won’t help much. If you can find your well, then to select a well (and see its related data, production, filings, etc.), you have to select the “identify” button (which is the letter ‘i’ inside a white circle on the map header) change it to identify “wells”, then you can select your well and it will pop-up a dialogue box with different links to files pertaining to that selected well. Hope this helps

1 Like

The first question is why are the wells in my DO not even inside the boundary definiton of my mineral deed.

The second question is looking for online county records search tools where I can find and download a copy of the pooling agreement filed by the oil company. Only because using the one operated by the county records office does not offer a search tool for finding the pooling agreement by unit name.

The wells will be within the boundary of the unit. Your minerals are only a part of the unit acreage. Most often the permit plat will outline the unit acreage. The deed records will not note the unit name if it is not in the title of the document. For example, it could be title Declaration of Pooled Unit for XYZ Unit or it could be only title Declaration of Pooled Unit. You need to search back under the name of the original operator who will have filed the unit agreement.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding, TennisDaze.

I did find, via an entirely different source, a volume and page reference for the pooled unit in the DO. I then pulled a copy of the pooling document. Along with it came a unit boundary plat. One side of the unit plat crossed a few feet into the mineral deed boundary, but is otherwise completely outside of it. Only the wells outside of the mineral deed boundary were included in the DO. None of the wells inside of the mineral deed boundary were included in the DO.

My question is still why not? I can accept that the pooling unit boundary crosses over a bit into the mineral deed boundary, thus triggering the inclusion, but I do not understand why the DO does not incorporate the rest of the mineral deed coverage plus the wells shown that are in that boundary. This is what I am hunting, the answer to that question. I am sure that there is a good reason, but, as Norman Newguy to this, I just do not know why, and want a source to learn how it works so I can reconcile the question correctly.

That is interesting. Your DO relates to the well(s) listed on it, I assume, operated by EOG. The other well(s) in the legal boundary you have, could be operated by other companies, and it is possible those other companies don’t have all your information, especially if they are old wells and/or if your mineral deed is recent or if your rights were acquired by heirship unrecorded, etc.
If you have the same mineral ownership in the whole tract/boundary, you would think you should be involved with the wells in your tract/boundary also. But those other wells could be lacking production, abandoned, recently drilled, etc., however all the well and production information will be on RRC site. What a fun situation you have here. Maybe those other wells have your interest suspended waiting on curative. Or maybe its nothing. Either way - hope you get the answers you’re looking for!

1 Like

The division order is for the unit well as the stated DOI relates only to the unit. Wells which are not included in the unit, either because the acreage is outside the unit or because the depths are not within the unit, would receive separate DO. Usually you will receive one DO for the wells included under one RRC Lease # and separate DO for wells under another RRC Lease #. This is because ownership decks and DOI vary for all the mineral owners and working interests. If you are already in pay on some wells, then new DO will not list those wells again.

2 Likes

Thank you and insightful comment. Interesting, that after I learned how to map the pooling unit onto the RRC maps so I could see the wells, I then realized what you are suggesting. I will be researching the rest of the pooling agreements that overlay onto the original mineral deed boundary and investigate what I see there.

Thank you. See my comment above as I figured out the DO is listing each unit and that I have to see the pooling agreement for each unit as to how it overlays the original mineral deed from the 1950s.

I am learning how this works steadily and I am grateful for the comments as they help me. I really appreciate these responses.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.