Deed of Distribution

Hello All,

I think I know the answer to this, however I have been implored to ask...

We have a deed of distribution from a deceased family member. It specifies a certain township/range/section/tracts ne2sw4 etc... to the tune of say x number of mineral acres. It doesn't say that we own any certain percentage of those acres, just list the tracts. So, family members keep asking me, hey, it says we own this, doesn't that mean it is all ours since it doesn't specify a percentage of these tracts that were inherited. To which I reply, no, they have to do a title search and determine percentage of ownership. And they say, well why would it specify the tracts if we didn't own 100% of them all. And I say, there are probably others in the family lineage that have the same exact description on their deed. And they say..NO WAY...

Please help...

You are correct. Someone trying to lease you should tell you the amount of net acres they think you own. It may not be perfect. I think they search til they have a high probability of your correct ownership, but they usually don’t do a definitive search til they have an executed lease in hand.