Deed help from oil companies title search

Would my name on a oil companies lease be proof enough of heirship to get a deed. The original Deed is from the late 1800’s

Oil & Gas leases do not vest title. What do you mean by get a deed?

I’m not sure what you mean by “get a deed” either. However, if an oil and gas company asked you to sign a lease, then it sounds to me like they have reason to believe you own some interest. If you could provide a little more detail about your situation, we’d be able to help you more. If you inherited this interest, then you likely won’t need a deed. You probably just need to make sure the proper heirship documents are filed of record.

I did sign lease and have been getting royalties. I am wondering how do I make sure my daughter gets them when I die. Just putting I own mineral rights and the property description, is that enough in a will? I know no one is an attorney

That is the worst way to do it. There are multiple ways of doing it so you should consult with an attorney in the state where the minerals reside to accomplish your goals.

I agree with Todd but would also suggest, if the minerals reside in a state other than your residence, work with your local attorney and the outstate attorney to ensure both actions work in unison.

I`m happy to see your in the thought process of who should inherit. Many times the mineral holdings and their records a neglected as you have viewed on other posts on this site. Todays legal costs are far less than 5, 10 or 20 years down the road. You are aware of the ownership detail where others would have to piece together your estate assets after you pass.

I know how long it took and we were just giving information to landman and oil company. But some to court house also I’ll have to double check with my brother on that. I wish the oil company would give me a copy of their title search, but that’s like asking for the moon.

It is better to ask the operator only for the paragraph or two of the title opinion that pertains to your acreage only. The complete title opinion is very expensive and covers perhaps hundreds of people, so they will not share that. If you only ask them for your part, very nicely, then sometimes they will be willing to share.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.