Deceased Grandfather's Mineral Rights - How to transfer in CA?

Hello,

My grandfather was part owner of a ranch in the central valley of California. Whey they sold the property they kept a portion of the mineral rights. I called the county recorders office asking how to update the deeds but they said they don’t give advice, they only record the documents and would not recommend any Attorneys and/or Title Company’s.

I have copies of the deeds, including the APNs and descriptions. And I have wills and related documents that show a inheritance path from my grandfather to me.

I also have an appraisal of the mineral rights done by some relatives about 15 years ago, showing they are not worth very much (not producing anything, no active leases).

So, my questions are:

1. What is needed to transfer these mineral rights from my grandfather to me? (my father is also deceased) - update to the deed(s) themselves or ?
  2. Is this something I can do my self via research, if not, do I need an Attorney or a Title Company?

Given that they are not currently worth anything I dont want to spend a lot, but at the same time I want to make sure its done properly in case they do become worth something eventually.

Thanks in advance! Steve

There are important facts missing such as whether your grandfather’s Will was admitted to probate, whether your father survived your grandfather, was your grandfather unmarried at death, and to whom the Will left the minerals if it was probated. You need an experienced California probate attorney to look at the situation and advise you what needs to be done.

Thank you sclausen, I will followup with a probate attorney. I appreciate the feedback and advice!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.