Dear oil Company

I am trying to write a certified letter to the Oil and Gas Company stating basically that I want every document that has anything to do with my family and I. Is that even possible? When I say every document I mean anything mentioning what my family owns and so on so forth.

You can write the letter but they have no obligation to send you anything. All of the pertinent documents can be found out the county court house. If you ask nicely they may send you a copy of a division order or the page of a title opinion dealing with your interest.

I don’t think you will have much success. Not because the oil company is mean and heartless, but mostly because in my experience it’s the family’s responsibility to know basically everything that they own and so forth.

If you ask the right person at the operator nicely you can probably get a copy of the lease between you/relatives and the oil company. Or maybe even more than that. But I kinda doubt that the certified letter route is the right way to attract bees.

I could be wrong. I’m not a lawyer. Good luck.

1 Like

Hi Sabrina,

A certified letter isn’t necessary, I would call the company, find out a contact person’s email in their Land Department or Division Order department and email them. I would nicely ask them for help and direction. You can also go online yourself to your County Clerk and Recorder’s website and do a search by legal description of your acreage or family name.

1 Like

I would also recommend the DIY method Ms. Smith suggested. One oil company may not know all your family owns and may only know the part that concerns them. You need to go back a few generations of probates if any, property tax records if applicable and search for deeds anywhere you suspect you think you may have inherited. I thought I had found everything but something popped up for me 2 years ago and then a small interest last year.

Speak their language, ask: What are the title requirements to get the royalties out of suspense and into pay status? Can you send me that so I can share it with my attorney?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.