Dawson County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

No from the info I have, they have their positions and are not buying any more. But this is just the info I have. Things could change tomorrow.

Wow! That is good news. In what areas of Dawson Co. are these located?

All of these formations are wide spread in the Midland Basin. But there are pinchouts and so forth, E.g., Strawn. The main thing to know is the thickness of the potential pay horizons is something like 3,500 feet! As for the Horseshoe Atoll google that and map and you’ll get a fair idea where it is in Dawson County and many other counties. Many companies are focused on the Southern Midland Basin portion of the Permian Basin. But, they have said that the Northern Midland Basin is stratigraphically equivalent to the Southern Midland Basin on a regional geologic interpretation basis. Check out what Approach Resources has posted on the Internet.

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/data/drilling/index.php

Sure, look at everything on this page - to get an idea of what’s active or not. You’re correct it is “8A”.

Thanks Ralpr, the information is greatly appreciated.

Anything new brewing in the Dawson area regarding leases? Two months ago my family was offered 400 per acre by company A then offer was withdrawn, One month ago we were offered 150-175 per acre by company B then offer withdrawn when we asked to negotiate (company B stated they could not go any higher). One week ago we were offered 200 per acre for a 3 year term w/a 2 year option & 1/4 royalties by company B . Any thoughts? We have heard it is a hot spot over there. Should we try to negotiate once again?

I found a few areas to review but wanted to confirm that I should be looking at the “Monthly Drilling, Completion, and Plugging Summaries” and Dawson is “8A”. Am I looking in the right place?

http://geology.com/research/images/barnett-shale-formation-map-lg.jpg

My opinion is the Mississippian Carbonate Play (a/k/a Mississippi Lime, Mississippian Limestone) is another worthy zone in Dawson County, in addition to the Barnett/Woodford Shale! The neat thing is that the Carbonate Play is getting away from Shales and mudstones, so it’s another source of hope!

Check out drilling permits issued on the Texas Railroad Commission Website to get an idea of potential activity. The Permian Basin is Red Hot.

Mr. Koonce, thanks for you link. Very informative and most probably factual and not surprising. My bonus money from western Dawson county is in the bank>

The Spraberry Trend And Wolfberry Play Of The Midland Basin, West T… HOWDY! FYI - Here’s what the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas in Austin & Jackson School of Geosciences and Project STARR (State of Texas Advanced Oil and Gas Resource Recovery) have posted on this website (click on the hyperlink above) about the Spraberry Tend and Wolfberry Play. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Joy! Ralpr http://www.beg.utexas.edu/starr/ur_wolfberry.php HOWDY! FYI - Here’s what the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas in Austin & Jackson School of Geosciences and Project STARR (State of Texas Advanced Oil and Gas Resource Recovery) have posted on this website (click on the hyperlink above) about the Spraberry Tend and Wolfberry Play. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Joy! Ralpr

Does this study take into account the new fracking technology. I am seeing lots of new well permits, but not much in new production yet. Has anyone heard how new wells are performing?

http://www.callon.com/Press_Releases.htm

Callon Petroleum is picking up leasehold acreage in the Northern Midland Basin. They are targeting the Cline Shale for horizontal wells, and using vertical wells for multiple stacked plays, etc.

http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/fs20123051?from=home

USGS Article - FYI

Assessment of remaining recoverable oil in selected major oil fields of the Permian Basin, Texas and New Mexico

The Permian Basin Oil Play - Oil and Gas Investments Bulletin by Ke…

Check out Keith Schaefer’s April 19th article "The Permian Basin Oil Play - “Unleashed”. It is excellent and includes a map and Cline Shale Stratigraphic Section. Again, the Cline Shale is estimated to be in the entire Midland Basin.

Regards,

Ralpr

Comment by Ralpr5 minutes agoDelete Comment

Seeking Alpha transcript Q1 Concho Resources’

In the Q&A, transcript of www.seekingalpha.com for Concho Resources Q1 results - they discuss Cline Shale characteristics and Wolfcamp and Wolfberry goals and their new area in the Northern Midland Basin (Dawson County, of course). VERY INTERESTING THING is that the Cline Shale (Pennsylvanian Sh.) is as widespread as the Wolfcamp and appears to be Permian Basin-wide! Matthew Hyde of Concho said “focused on the Permian are looking at a pretty broad distribution for the Penn shale or Cline equivalent rock. Depositionally [ph] , it is a more – the term we use is clastic, which means more sand-shale sequence than the Wolfcamp, which is more shale carbonate rich. So they are a little bit different. The rocks are different, but we think they both have wide geographic extent, not only in the Midland Basin but in the greater Permian Basin.”

Opportunity Knocks article by Becky Frost for PBOG Magazine

Very good article about how Jim Henry of Henry Petroleum of discovered the Wolfberry.

Regards,

Ralpr

Acid Mine Water for Fracking? By MATT HUGHES of The York Daily Record

Very interesting article - is there wastewater in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, etc. that could be used instead of freshwater for fracking? Is the drilling wastewater just too high in Total Dissolved Solids (TDS - salt, etc.) to be useful for fracking? It looks like it is directly related to the distance from the source to be economical (like most goods and services).

Regards,

Ralpr

Schlumberger technical paper on Atoka Shale sand proppant solutions

FYI - This makes production from the Atoka Shale more feasible. I’m pretty sure Atoka Shale is predominant in Dawson County. This article has implications for other shale formations of interest (the less silicious formations - less sandy formations).

My Take on Sandridge by Michael Filloon of SeekingAlpha.com

Great Article by Writer Michael Filloon - FYI. I especially like the strategies of Sandridge to produce from the Mississippian Carbonate formation (which is in Dawson County - just deeper) and the handling and use of production water with regards to fracking - EXTREMELY INTERESTING.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Ralpr