Dawson County, MT - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Hello Mr. Drake,

Nice to hear of some recent activity in the area. I have been bad to not keep an eye on the websites lately (life has been busy around here). The guy who contacted me back in March followed up a week later and I explained to him that I shared a portion of the rights with one family member, and that I didn't know about the ownership of the majority of the rights for two sections. He said he would have to do some checking and get back to me but it's been quite a while now. I tracked down his number yesterday but haven't called yet - maybe he got cold feet? Maybe he needs to search through a bunch of confusing legal records to find there are several rights owners - would this make a difference if they wanted to pursue? Not sure how to approach, lay back & be patient or call and be proactive? What do you think forum members?

Thanks!

JW

I see in the Glendive paper that the Red River formation rather than the Bakken formation is likely to be the future of oil exploration around Glendive and in Dawson County generally. I had never heard of the Red River formation. Can anyone provide further information?

Hi Robert,

Take a look at the diagram of the Bakken Formation. It looks like the Red River Formation is in the same area, but just deeper down.

I received a mineral interest from my dad in 1999 in the E/2 of Section 4, Township 19 North, Range 54 East, Dawson County, MT, and I was trying to find out if there is production in that area. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

The August 10, 2014 Petroleum News - Bakken edition reports the following; SECI is Slawson:

In non-Bakken activity, SECI filed applications to the August hearing that asked for the creation of three temporary 640-acre DSUs in Dawson County and requested authorization to drill one horizontal Dawson Bay formation well on each.

And in a new application, SECI is seeking an additional 640-acre Dawson County DSU. The Dawson Bay formation is a middle Devonian age carbonate unit that underlies the Souris River, Duperow, Birdbear and Three Forks formations in the Williston Basin.

Nice to see a hopeful sign after months of nothing.

Does anyone know how I can find a landman to lease to? In Dawson County MT

Cynthia:

My suggestion is wait on them to contact you. The companies hire individuals to research the areas that they are interested in via the records at the County Clerks office. If they are interested in your mineral holdings, they will contact you. Hopefully, things will begin to turn around over the next few years but in the meantime, its more or less a sit and wait game. All you can do as a mineral owner is stay abreast of your area in regards to any activities.

Heard rumors of leasing activity in Dawson County. Does anyone have some knowledge?