Dawson County and CGS/EOG

Have some interests in League 274 of Dawson County, TX. Has anybody heard of current (Mar/2021) activity by CGS/EOG in that area of Dawson County?

Robert, I responded a couple of weeks ago when you were asking about the producing formation in that area. Below is what I’d sent in case you didn’t see it.

Is that the area you are asking about? If so you might have a better chance of getting response if you’ll refer to your area as Abstract 413. To keep track of new activity check Railroad Commission’s Online Queries Section for Drilling Permit (W-1) applications in Dawson County.

https://www.rrc.state.tx.us/resource-center/research/research-queries/

If I spotted it right you appear to be in Abstract 413, right on the boundary between Dawson and Gaines County.

Below is a link to the formation record from a well called the Cleo Thompson Loving CSL 273-9 completed just east of your tract in 2017. EOG is now the operator. The unit plat is also in that link so you can see the distance from your location.

The field name shown for that 2017 well is the Spraberry Trend Area, but based on the formation record it appears to be producing from the Wolfcamp. Those two formations may be considered the same thing in that area.

Regarding the chance of future drilling in that area, it doesn’t look like this well produced much but EOG may have better methods to apply.

Dawson County - Thompson-EOG Loving CSL 273-9.pdf (1.1 MB)

Thanks so much for your reply. After my initial post about underground formations, I had not yet discovered how to access the RRC maps. We are actually in Abstract 414, just to the east of A-413. And, we are only in one Labor (25) which is the one in the extreme southwestern corner of League 274/A414. I see that well you’re referring to now (Loving CSL 273-9). It looks to be maybe a mile to a mile and a half from our Labor (since we are bordering A-413).

Yes, now it looks like EOG=CGS has a number of wells in the area with 3 more horizontal wells just south of us in A-412 and three more wells in A-411, the two wells in the Northwind Unit 6 or 7 miles northwest of us and of course the big Santorini Unit that looks to be roughly 10 to 11 miles back east of us. So, the EOG=CGS looks like they are drilling all around us…the only things I see on the map for League 274/A-414 are two dry holes. I don’t know when they were drilled or whether they were vertical or horizontal but it is disheartening.

We have gone through several leases with different companies over the past few years …with no activity taking place on our land there. I am hopeful that CGS=EOG will ramp up their exploration even more in that neck of the woods, but if someone has not done it by now I am starting to wonder if they ever will.

Glad you were able to figure out the RRC map.

Check the history on those horizontal wells in the abstracts south of you. Looks like they were drilled by Cleo Thompson and others, some as far back as 2013, and EOG just took over as operator last April. Don’t think they’ve drilled any in that area themselves but now have an acreage position that could make it a possibility.

1 Like

I was able to do some checking on some of those wells just to the south and southwest of us. The majority of the wells directly south in A-411 are listed as Diamondback…with 3 or 4 being listed as EOG/CGS. On a “Dawson County Top Producing Wells” list however, I found out that just a couple of miles SW of our Labor…in A412…one of EOG’s wells is on that list…called Loving CSL 272-7, #050469. It is at 9,258 ft and the completion date I believe was in Aug. 2017. There is another one right close to it… Loving CSL 272-6. There was a large amount of new leases signed up with CGS just within the past 45 days in A-414. I am thinking now that EOG/CGS is getting busy in Abstracts 412, 413, and 414 and I’m seeing that our Labor 25 (in A-414) sits right in the middle of all this. May turn out to be a prime location.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.