DAWSON CO lease

My mineral rights acres in Dawson Co have been leased by CGS Operating for three years. Their lease was finished on Aug 1, 2022. CGS has the option for another three years but I have not heard from them. I have texted, emailed, and called but cannot reach them. The fellow who wrote and signed our CGS lease is no longer with the company. I would like to lease these mineral rights acres again. And my cousins also. Location: south 1/2 (S/2) of section 22, block 36, Township 5 North Suggestions? Thanks DAVID NOLEN

That section is called the H. Morgan Survey, Abstract 456. RRC’s current map doesn’t show any new permits there. If the primary term of your lease has expired and you didn’t receive a payment to extend, assuming that’s what your lease required, then it has terminated. Since you weren’t able to contact CGS, try mailing a certified letter, with return receipt requested, to their Land Department requesting that they send you a notarized release. RRC shows the mailing address for CGS Operating LLC as P.O. Box 921, Kilgore, Texas 75663. It would probably help to include a copy of your lease with the letter.

If your lease didn’t include a provision requiring that they provide a release when the lease terminates they may resist going to that effort but it’s worth trying.

If you get the release from CGS, check the deed records for Dawson County and if they didn’t record the release you’ll want to get that done yourself by sending the notarized original of the release to the county clerk’s office along with the required recording fee. The recorded release will make anyone researching the deed records covering your property aware that your acreage is now available for lease.

Thank you. This is all very good information. Do you know why the area is called “H. Morgan Survey” ? All together various Nolen family members (cousins) still own roughly half the mineral rights of that 320 acre plot of land. We have all been contacted about selling but, at this point, we do not want that. Should we contact other land companies about leasing? These mineral acres are from the land my grandfather bought in 1922.

Typically survey names reflect the person the State patented, or sold, the section to originally. Often in the 1800’s. You can probably find some of that history on the Texas General Land Office’s website.

If you are aware of companies actively leasing in your area it might not hurt to contact them, but I doubt you will get a serious player interested if they aren’t already focused on your area. If you make sure the County deed records show your interest is available for lease and how to contact you, you’ll hear from them when they are motivated.

It takes some work, but I’ve had good luck contacting other mineral owners (the larger the better) in areas where I have interest, sharing leasing information, and possibly agreeing to work together in the future. The more information you can gather, and the larger the potential mineral interest you can combine, the more negotiating leverage you’ll have when leasing opportunities come along.

Has Navigator Oil & Minerals approached you? There are conveyances to them for sec. 22 blk 36 T5N

1 Like

I texted Navigator from their web page but haven’t heard back. I’m not sure why their conveyances can have the same legal description as ours. Thanks again

David that survey H Morgan is from one of two brothers that first came to Dawson and Gaines county’s in the late 1880’s. H was Hardy Morgan and there still relatives of his in Lamesa. Your land was more than likely bought from either Hardy directly or one of his relatives

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.