Data Searching Tutorial

How do I go about systematically discovering what activity is on (has been on) the land (mineral rights) we own?

We have a very small fraction of ownership in about 45 different locations. We do have signed leases in some but I'm interested in learning the "process" of finding out what activity has been done on the areas. Ex. Was it test drilled? Was a well ever placed? Did it produce? How much? Who is the producer?

I presume there are databases, maps, online records etc. but right now am looking for a very high level road-map of how to proceed on the discovery process.

Thanks,

AccidentalOwner

Here's a couple of good places to start:

http://www.occeweb.com/index.html http://www.occpermit.com/WellBrowse/Home.aspx

Hey, AccidentalOwner -

I have been researching the types of records you are looking for for more than 35 years. The processes can involved sometimes require patience and always require time. But once you have some wind in your sails, the experience is quite enjoyable.

Most States have a website or an office you can go to for this type of research. There are also a number of online services, such as DrillingInfo.com, where you can research your properties.

The first thing to do is map out your properties/interests. Where are your properties located?

If you do not want to post your legal descriptions here, accept my invitation to become "A Friend" on The Forum and you can send them to me privately.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Mr. Tooke III, I have some mineral rights in Wise County, TX that are leased to Conoco-Philips through its subsidiary, Burlington Resources. Do you know of any way to find out if Conoco plans to drill on the property? Thanks, Joe Parr

Charles Emery Tooke III said:

Hey, AccidentalOwner -

I have been researching the types of records you are looking for for more than 35 years. The processes can involved sometimes require patience and always require time. But once you have some wind in your sails, the experience is quite enjoyable.

Most States have a website or an office you can go to for this type of research. There are also a number of online services, such as DrillingInfo.com, where you can research your properties.

The first thing to do is map out your properties/interests. Where are your properties located?

If you do not want to post your legal descriptions here, accept my invitation to become "A Friend" on The Forum and you can send them to me privately.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas