Dad passed away need help changing ownership

My family has mineral rights in Montague County, my dad passed away and need to get them transferred. They have a lease through EOG resources but i can’t find the gentleman’s phone number that my dad spoke with. His name was Brent Arnold.

You should visit with a Texas attorney. There are a couple listed here: Mineral Services Directory - Mineral Rights Forum

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

I have used Eric Camp out of Ft Worth and had no issues. Also have had some contact with Wade Caldwell in San Antonio. Either would serve you well and both are listed in the Directories section at the top. MK

1 Like

You will need to furnish a copy of the probate. Checks will stop until the commission receives the requisite paperwork . Dont forget to include a W-9 for each heir.

Title needs to be properly recorded in county deed records and copies of the recorded documents can then sent to operator and lessee. The RRC is not involved.

So I need to fill out the paperwork and W-9’s and have it recorded in the county clerks office, then send it to EOG?

You need an attorney to help you file the appropriate title documentation in deed records. Best is probate records assuming you are doing that. Otherwise minerals will pass under Texas heirship statutes for real property. Do not file W-9 or anything with social security numbers in deed records as that is all public access. Once you have established

There is no probate or will. I have the paperwork to have it changed over but says that it must be completed by someone that is not going to benefit from it.

Got cut off above … once you establish title into all the heirs, then you send copies of title records to operator and lessee. Operator will send division order and require W-9 for each owner for reporting income to federal government. This will all take time so you need to be patient. Get a copy of your father’s lease to EOG from county deed records if you do not have it. If you have check detail from royalties, then you can find your father’s royalty owner number on EOG records which is a helpful reference.

1 Like

I apologize. I should have said operator not commission. There is a 9 page doc that will identify what is requisite from you among them is deceased no will, not probated etc. I will c if I can find my copy. I believe they’re fairly standard

1 Like

Thank you, I believe that’s what EOG headquarters sent me, along with affidavits of heirship

The process takes some time. Good Luck