Cost of P&A a Well

Hi,

I am looking to get an estimate for P&A costs for a vertical well which has ~7000 TVD depth. Can someone please provide a reasonable ballpark number.

Thanks, WI Owner

Each state will have different rules & regulations for plugging a well. Can the casing be pulled & sold for salvage? Same for surface equipment. What type of surface remediation must be done?

The well is in Oklahoma. I am a non op owner trying to get out of a well by paying my share of the P&A costs. So probably no remediation will be done right now. Can you please provide a value with and without the salvage value of the casing.

I usually earmark ~$40k for P&A with site reclamation. It can be more or less depending on the operator and the area, but that’s what I use when I need a generic number.

TX RRC shows 2023 cost per foot for wells which RRC plugged as varying by district from low of $6.36 per foot in District 9 to $30.75 per foot in District 8. Variance is probably due to problems arising in plugging wells in some districts vs. very shallow wells in other districts. Average of $14.49 per foot which would equate to $101,430 for 7,000 feet. Interesting to see the cost increase over the years. Cost Calculation

1 Like

I just plugged one that was 2000 and it was 46K without reclamation.