Cost of landman

research family mineral ownership history in Texas north, east, and south east areas.

is there a flat rate or per job rate. Or is this something I can do because a lot of the mineral rights were with additional parties. I've been looking in counties. I've searched real property. But I can't seem to find original anything? So, next step cost of land man? Any one have suggestions.

The cost varies depending on where you are. Based on what you are looking for, I would say you are looking at spending $250-$300 per day for a landman's services. I typically charge $275/day for smaller due diligence type work here in Oklahoma.

Do you know where the minerals are located? If so, the county clerk's office may have some records online for you to search. Otherwise it takes a trip to the courthouse.

My sister has mineral rights and property in several counties in Oklahoma. Some are leased, some not. How can she be sure that she is receiving all she has coming? Does a “Landman” do this kind of research etc? Is the info on a county by county basis? Does the state provide any services?

Hi Daph,

The county clerk's office in SOME counties will do a courtesy search, but if it takes more than a few minutes they will usually tell you to get an attorney which they just happen to have the name of handy, if you get my drift. Whoever does it will charge you by the hour most likely. It is expensive and may not be worth it. The best thing in my humble opinion is to send a "Statement of Claim" to the county where your minerals are, addressed to County Clerk. This puts your name and the minerals you own where they can be found by landmen. If they want to lease your minerals they will do the search before contacting you. Saves you a lot of money and time. If you don't have a Statement of Claim", stop by a mineral leasing office and pick one up, make plenty of copies (it's a one page document) and start sending them out and wait. If you have more money than patience have a landman do the research for you. Simple as that.

I wish you lots of luck with them.

Wes Luke

Doesn't this process become complicated by "pooling" of land, i.e. whereas you think you have three wells on your property you find out through "oil exploration company" gerrymandering that what you think you have is in fact part of someone else's pool and vice verse and you really end up just going nuts trying to figure out how the percentages that you were getting last month suddenly changed through said gerrymandering and/or through the assignment of a new lease number of an oil well that has now been classified as a gas well, and the poor landman basically ends up nuts chasing the history of the mineral lease?

<RANT OFF>