Cost basis estimate for inherited mineral rights in Eddy Co, NM

I inherited about an acre of mineral rights in the NE/4 section 35 T23S, R27E in Eddy County, NM in January of 2005. I sold the mineral rights in January of 2018.

The mineral rights were leased for oil and gas and under production. My royalties the first 12 months I have record of (July 2004 to June 2005) were $106.30. The last 12 months (June 2016 to May 2017) were $6.09.

Is there a way that would be acceptable to the IRS to estimate the January 2005 value (basis)? At my income level I don’t owe any federal capital gains tax. However, I will owe AZ and NM taxes if I use a 0 cost basis.

My guess is that if I hire a mineral appraiser, it would cost more than the taxes due.

Thanks

@TerryinAZ Hi there. I have a similar inheritance situation. Did you find any resolution here like an appraiser, or did you go with just the $0 cost basis? Thanks so much!

After looking up the IRS Requirements for establishing mineral estate values it appeared very difficult to do and if an appraiser was able to do it, probably very expensive. I was able claim it as a long term capital gain, 0% in my tax bracket. I did have to pay AZ and NM taxes, much less than what I imagine an appraisal would have cost.

@TerryinAZ Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it! I think I’m in the same situation. Best!