Contango Royalty Payments Late

Anyone else experiencing late royalty payments from Contango in Payne Co.? I emailed them early last week and have received no response. Last royalty payment was for August production paid 11/25/2020.

2 Likes

My last payment from them was in April 2020 but from another county. Check your Division Order and see if your minimum is set at $100 or if you reset it at $25. If you share the section, township and range, I can check and see if the wells are producing. A lot of wells were shut in from April to ?? due to Covid drop in demand, so not all of them are back up and running yet.

Exact same for me also, last payment 11/25/2020, for August production. The only difference is my ownership is in Garfield county. The OTC still as of Friday has not shown production for September production. I guess it’s hurry up and wait, every since they took over for White Star their payments have been very erratic.

I am concerned about Contango’s financial status as they bought all of White Star’s production and closed on the deal just before prices tanked in March. If they are experiencing cash flow issues that would account for their slowing royalty payments. I have not seen any financial news on their company that address any cash flow concerns yet, but I am continuing to monitor. Their lack of response to my email inquires just heightens my concerns. My royalty payments are usually more than $500 per month so there are no minimum payment issues that could hold up payments.

Ronald, I’m also experiencing a delay in royalty payments from Contango for interests in 3 Payne County wells. My last royalty check was in August for production in May. Per the Oklahoma Tax Commission website, two well shows production for Jun-Aug and the third shows production for June & July (no production reported for September yet per the previous poster). Incidentally, it doesn’t look like these wells were shut-in when prices tanked last year so I am not sure what is causing the delay. A call to their owner relations department might reveal more information. If not, you could have your attorney send them a letter and that might help get things back on track but ultimately won’t address the root cause.

Let me know what you find out and I will do the same! Thanks, Matt Sands

I have the same financial concerns as Matt. I will check my wells for shut in and give them a call. I am not sure I have even gotten a new DO from them so I can make sure it is $25 minimum. Need to check my files. With COVID protocols, it may have slipped down in importance. Got the first check so they know I exist. With a bunch of us contacting them, they may get the message.

1 Like

Whitestar then later Contango have been barely hanging on. Hopefully a competent, prudent and reasonable operator will come in and take over their wells and leases. They sure are not doing it…

1 Like

Received the following response to my second email.

"Inquiry 008161 Mr. Norton My apologies for the lack of response to your original email.
Unfortunately, we were unable to process our December payments at the end of the year. We are on track to get payments out early next week. If I can help with anything else, please let me know. Margaret JIB and Revenue Inquiry Contango Resources 405-551-3946

I will confirm when payment is received.

1 Like

Mr. Norton, I text OKC office last week( 4th-8th)and was told that RI payments would be posted this week(11th -15th). I believe you are correct in that they’re strapped financially. Hope we get our tax info by Jan. 31st. according to the law. James C.

The Contango payment for September 2020 production was received on my wells today. I trust other royalty owners received theirs also. Better late than never…

1 Like

They have not paid me since April!

Ronald, I am in the Aldean and Boomer wells in Section 3-18N-2E Payne County and having same issue. If I can get anywhere with this, I’ll let everybody know. Thanks for posting.

Stay on them. Contango owes me a bunch, I finally filed a lien against them, but still getting stonewalled. They owe you 12% interest compounded annually on all revenue past 6 months overdue. Be sure and ask for it if you have the time and patience. Lisa

So happy you received something! Contango owes me over $45,000.00 plus 12% interest. I have repeatedly contacted at least 6-7 individuals in Legal/DO/Land departments in OKC, Houston and Tulsa. Filed an Oil & Gas Owners’ Lien per the 2010 OK Statute, offered to lease and waive the interest and bonus, nothing. In 40 years, I’ve never had a company refuse to work with me, much less continue to refuse to pay monies owed AFTER a lien is filed. Any ideas as to how to proceed? Thanks for posting!

Are you having any luck with Contango? I have had a lien against wells for months for $45,000.00. I had an email this morning from the Landman taking care of Payne which indicated he would be discussing with their in-house attorney Chad McLawhorn, my offer to lease and waive 12% interest and within an hour same guy, Jason Thomas emailed again indicating the opposite! I’ll keep everybody posted if I get any results. Thank you for your posts.

Why would you waive your statutory interest payment?

I was just trying to give them a break since it has been a rough 18 months, plus thought it would compel them to get this resolved. But, as it turns out, they are still jerking me around, so I have withdrawn my offer to lease. Thanks so much for responding!

They did manage to get their 1099-MISC out. I just received it today. Now I have to see if it reconciles with their payments.

I would not have thought to check. Thanks!!

I contacted Contango Owner Relations last week because he have not heard from them since they acquired our interest from Whitestar over a year ago. We have leases with Whitestar for Payne county in sections 34 and 35. We had four wells but WS put them in “shut-in status” back in 2017. I ask for information on current and future plans with our wells. The response I got today was “Contango did acquire your interest from White Star. The wells are still shut-in at this time and as of now Contango has no future plans for them.” Not sure how this effects our lease or how I should respond to them. Any suggestion would be helpful?