Confused

Can not get a straight answer out of energy company, will not tell us they are not interested in renewing leases, but have not sent new ones. Why not tell us there is no interest?

Mary Katheryn W

They are wanting to keep you from releasing to another company while they stall, tell them you were approched by a different land man but are giving them 30 days to release before signing with someone else. That should get their attention.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Dear Ms. Wallace,

Maybe they are interested but the price of natural gas is not right yet.

Maybe they are interested but it’s not a high priority yet.

Maybe they are interested but need new financing.

Maybe they are interested but don’t want the word to get out yet.

Who knows what the reason is? Think of it like a man and woman who go out on a date. She had a nice time. But does she call and ask, “Hey, are you interested in renewing our dating experience? If so, why haven’t you called me? If not, why don’t you just say so?” No, she doesn’t do that. And if he did not have a good time, or did have a good time but does not have an interest in a second date right away, does he call and say, “Hey, I’m not interested in another date, just thought you would want to know, take care?” No.

As far as the producer’s “wanting to keep you from releasing to another company while they stall,” and lying to them about a phantom other landman, I would not recommend that course of action. They are going to know if there is competition in the area, so lying to them will do no good, and probably would be counterproductive.

Sincerely,

Philip Wynne