Confidential SWD?

I am somewhat puzzled why Marathon is currently drilling a SWD well in Williams County as a "confidential" well. This well is being drilled in T157N;R103W;Secton 21. Marathon also has permits in this area and appears to be prepared to develope these border sections. I don't know the TD of this SWD well and this may be common practice to drill SWD wells as confidential but my main question is "Why?". This drill has just started and due to come off the confidential well list on 7/8/12.

Just a stab, but through the years I have seen companies permit SWD and water wells to test other formations. They won't likely produce from the well, but they'll make sure and penetrate the formation they want to test, possibly take core, and at the very least will have rock cuttings.

It would have to be testing a formation deeper than the Bakken or there would be no need to do it with all of the other wells being drilled in the area to Bakken depths.

Just an idea.

Mr. Dukes:

Your thinking is exactly what I thought when I saw this SWD well listed as confidential. I have minerals on the section next door to this drill and Marathon has me permitted. My thoughts is that Marathon is doing some early exploration prior to extensive developement of this area. It will be interesting to see where this rig moves next since some of these leases will be expiring this summer.

Reagan "R.T." Dukes said:

Just a stab, but through the years I have seen companies permit SWD and water wells to test other formations. They won't likely produce from the well, but they'll make sure and penetrate the formation they want to test, possibly take core, and at the very least will have rock cuttings.

It would have to be testing a formation deeper than the Bakken or there would be no need to do it with all of the other wells being drilled in the area to Bakken depths.

Just an idea.