Comstock - New Leon County Lease Area

Comstock recorded six new lease memos on July 12 covering 16,942 acres in 40 new surveys. 29 of the surveys had all their acreage included in the leases.

Here’s a map of this new lease area:

1 Like

One additional note: The six lessors are a trust and five individuals. If those six are the only mineral owners of this acreage, then they are looking at some gigantic lease bonuses. At $300 per acre, that would be about $850,000 each.

2 Likes

I have an aquaintance that lives in Tyler…She and her Brother have several small pieces of different absracts in this area of Leon County/Oakwood area…Abstracts 981, 22, 1056, 782, 69, 1232, 1335 355, 67, 1430, 483, 8, 362, 48, 460, 982, and 377

Was this the Swift Heirs in this trust? As I remember there was a 3D shoot done there about 2010.

I’m wondering if someone can tell me if the survey A-504,John Lynde approx 426.75 acres is included. Surprise valley leases to one person who shares in the interest but no others. My sibling wants to sell her interest.

Surprise Valley has leased a 443.75 acres tract in the John Lynde Survey A-504. Also, Comstock has directly leased another 213.3333 acre tract there as well.

1 Like

Thank you very much Alan.

This has me confused now since my self and siblings have not been offered a lease. My sibling still wants to sell their interest but without a lease we have not had any interest.

Surprise valley has not responded to my calls.

Do know the acreage in A 504? We have leased our interest before and it was 426.75 acres.

1 Like

Surprise Valley’s main number in Houston is 713-554-3373.

I also have mineral rights in Leon Co.Texas. I am looking for a company that would like to lease the 3 tracts that I have. Any ideas?

1 Like

This is interesting! I located the original John Lynde Patent on the Leon County Deed Record site. The Patent was filed on 3/9/1871. The Patent was for 640 acres.

If I add 443.75 and 213.3333 from my post, the total is 657.08 acres. However, if I add the 426.75 from your post and the 213.3333, the total is 640.08 acres. This leads me to believe that the 443.75 acre tract should be 426.75.

Of course this leaves the question of why you have not been contacted by Surprise Valley or Comstock. Might be worth a phone call.

1 Like

That very interesting indeed! I’ve called them three times but with this information I might get a response. Thank you!

Here’s some more info for you. The person that leased the 443.75 acre tract with Surprise is named Richard Arnold. The lease memo documenting his lease referred to a “Field Notes” document recorded in Volume 261 Page 49 of the Leon County Deed Records. The Field Notes show that the “called” 426 and 2/3 acre tract was re-surveyed in September of 1958. That survey produced a revised estimate of 447 and 3/4 acres, which is close to the 443 and 3/4 acres shown in the lease memo. I don’t know what accounts for the four acre difference…could be a typo.

1 Like

Many times the old original surveys when resurveyed by improved methods and different surveyors turns out to nearly always more acreage in Texas. When there are meanders in creeks, bayou’s and rivers that also makes a big difference.

Is this anywhere close to Abstract 450? I have 80 acres they are trying to lease from me for $600 an acre on a 5/5/5 deal.

1 Like

Is Surprise Valley offering you a lease? So far, Vanna Production has leased more than 800 gross acres in the SL Jones A-450 Survey. Vanna’s leasing doesn’t include an 80-acre tract, however.

Bottom line: Your acreage is in a desirable area.

Yes, it’s Surprise Valley. The acreage is part of two different tracts. Can you link a map that has drilling around that area?

Any lease activity in Abstract A-919 E H Whitton, which is about 3.5 miles North of Centerville on west side of I45?

Thanks

3 yr. primary term. No option terms, 1/4 "free royalty, $850/net. acre. Make sure you have a good lease.

Yes, it’s Surprise Valley. It’s actually two different tracts combined around 80 acres. Should I try and get in touch with Vanna Production to see if they want to offer? No clue how this works.

All the recent large-scale leasing in Leon County is focused on a deep gas play involving the Lower Bossier and Haynesville Formations. So far, Comstock has permitted five wells in Leon County, but they are all located to the southwest of your acreage, in the Marquez area. Vanna Production is working with Sabana Royalty Partners, but they have not permitted any wells yet. Your acreage is in a prospective location, but it may be a while before any drilling takes place there.

It is worth noting that Comstock’s early wells in this play have been highly productive, which justifies the extensive leasing. Comstock, Vanna, and a few other players account for more than 170,000 acres of new leases in Leon County.

1 Like