Comstock drilling

Hello, I leased 200 acres in Leon County, -The Wlliam chapel survey. Surprise Valley had a 5 years.

What are the chances of Comstock drilling in my section? Thanks!

1 Like

You will probably get a response if you give the Section # or the Abstract #

A-169 200 acres of the William Chapel survey

When did you sign your lease with Surprise Valley? Their last lease memo filing in the Leon County Deed Records was done on 12/14/2022, and, as of that date, they had not recorded any leases in that survey yet. However, Surprise has been holding leases for quite a few months before recording, so perhaps your lease has not been recorded yet.

The survey where your acreage is located is about 12 miles northeast of the known Surprise Valley leasing area, but it is immediately adjacent to the lease areas of Thorp Petroleum and Vanna Production. Both of these companies appear to be chasing a deep gas target, and it could be Lower Bossier, which is the apparent target of Comstock’s leasing (Surprise Valley is assumed to be leasing for Comstock).

No way to know if or when Comstock might drill a well in your area. They did recently permit their first Leon County well, but it is located about 28 miles southwest of your land. No idea if or when Thorp or Vanna will permit a well.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I leased in August, but didn’t get payment until Oct. It made me quite nervous for the delay. I have never experienced that much of a delay before.

1 Like

For Alan Herrington: you indicated that Comstock has a permit in Leon County, can tell me what abstract it is in? Thanks, Jesse

J McKelvey, A-543. The well pad will be located 1.3 miles south of Marquez.

http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?name=DINKINS%2BJG&fromPublicQuery=Y&univDocNo=495517350

I own mineral rights a few miles from this new well south of Marquez. How far away does a well like this pay out?

1 Like

Here’s the plat showing the location of the unit:

http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/dpimages/img/6600000-6699999//PR0006684979_0001.pdf

Thanks Alan. Looks like I’m about a mile outside of it. Hopefully they’ll drill more wells.

1 Like

My family and I leased some of our acreage in Leon County to Surprise Valley back in 2021, but we have an approximately 342 additional acres in the same area that were not included in the leases. Since this appears to be a hot area, is there a way to make the availability known to parties potentially interested in leasing (or do we just have to wait for someone to approach us)? We would certainly welcome any leasing offers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comstock is continuing to acquire leases in Leon County. On January 5, they recorded the acquisition of 105 HBP leases from Roberts & Hammack, and I’m pretty sure Surprise Valley Resources has written some leases that they haven’t recorded yet.

Based on the data available now, my estimate is that Comstock has more than 60,000 gross acres leased in Leon County. That estimate comes from my review of the lease memos filed by Surprise Valley, and the acquisitions from Arizona Exploration and Roberts & Hammack. It does not include substantial acreage they acquired from their deal with Legacy Reserves, because acreage data wasn’t available by location.

The attachment shows a map of the Leon County surveys in which Comstock has leased acreage.

2 Likes

Any leasing activity around the E. Whitton A-919 area? This is about 3 miles North of Centerville on I45. I have not been contacted by anyone.

Thank you, Alan. I am one of the folks in the proposed unit. Bob W

When a mineral signs a lease and the payment is a bank draft a company does not " have to pay it". Also they have plenty of time to pay usually. What I have seen is that some of the lease brokers don’t do the complete title until after you sign the lease. Also the leases have to be sent to the company buying the lease in order to issue the payments. A lot of things can happen. Lease brokers try to make themselves look real good to the company at your expense sometimes. If you can always ask for a cashiers check along with the companies signature on the lease.

You can say that again… simply a CYA technique to keep them from their worst case scenario, an unleaded mineral owner in a good well

Another truism I’m afraid. Actual Operators do in fact mostly do their land acquisition function through brokerage companies - simply a reality. The way to flush out facts is to ask lots of questions, in writing. If they “quit answering”, it’s likely they weren’t really serious about leasing you anyway.

What’s it looking like for those with mineral rights between A126 and A127? Less than a mile south of Dinkins JG 1H

1 Like

Not sure how to use this site as I’m new to it. Hopefully I’m in the Leon County section. We have been doing leasing through Surprise Valley for our interests in the region (including adjacent counties), but our latest lease has not been paid on yet. It was signed and executed back in November 2022. I’ve been hassling them but no action yet. We also are missing our 1099’s for tax year 2022. Have been told they are “on their way”. Anyone else encountered these problems? We heard through the grapevine (our broker) Surprise Valley may be in financial trouble.

1 Like

We too have had some issues with Surprise Valley Resources. They reached out to us a year ago indicating that they had discovered some additional acreage of ours that needed to be added to our existing leases, via an amendment. After several months without hearing anything, I contacted them to inquire about the status and was told that the guy who contacted us was out with an illness, but that the issue would be resolved soon. Six months later I still hadn’t heard anything so I contacted them again and got a similar run-around (“still working on it”.) During my conversations with the several SVR landmen I spoke with, it became apparent that SVR has a high rate of attrition. At this point I’ve resigned myself to waiting and hoping that the operator decides to drill in our lease area and that forces SVR and/or the operator to resolve all the outstanding curative issues. I know this doesn’t really help you, but you aren’t the only one frustrated by SVR’s slow or lacking response, and I’m hoping someone with more experience in these matters can offer both of us some advice as to what, if anything, we can do to get SVR to resolve the issues.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your speedy response. I am just concerned that the lease has been recorded and assigned - am going to try to figure this out from the TX RR Commission site. As an out of state minerals owner it has been difficult to get some straight answers. I’ll post here if and when I hear back from them.