Compensation of tree clearing for drilling pad

Does anyone know what oil companies are paying for large trees that are removed for drilling pads? Hunt Brothers are about to clear out many large oak trees in order to put a pad in. Thanks for any replies!

Hey, Tony -

The company should have a pretty good idea about the value of marketable timber in your area. Many companies have Landmen who specialize in Damage and Loss Settlements and they are usually pretty up on the values of timber and crops and grazing lands in their region(s).

If you want to do a little research on your own, however, you are certainly welcome to do so.

You may be able to find provisions in recently filed leases in the same area setting out what the Landowner is to be paid for loss of timber, temporary and permanent. Those records would be filed in the County Clerk's Records.

Or you can try contacting the County Agricultural Agent, the US Forestry Service or maybe one or two local or regional Timber Companies. One or all of the above should be able to tell you the value of trees of certain types of wood above certain diameters.

You may be able to sell the timber with any value yourself, before the oil company comes in a tears up the rest.

Or, if you have a fire place, you could require them to cut and split your hardwoods and stack them in a barn or something. Just don't tell anybody I gave you that idea...

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks Charles for the reply. I will do some research to find out what I can at the county clerk's office.

Charles Emery Tooke III said:

Hey, Tony -

The company should have a pretty good idea about the value of marketable timber in your area. Many companies have Landmen who specialize in Damage and Loss Settlements and they are usually pretty up on the values of timber and crops and grazing lands in their region(s).

If you want to do a little research on your own, however, you are certainly welcome to do so.

You may be able to find provisions in recently filed leases in the same area setting out what the Landowner is to be paid for loss of timber, temporary and permanent. Those records would be filed in the County Clerk's Records.

Or you can try contacting the County Agricultural Agent, the US Forestry Service or maybe one or two local or regional Timber Companies. One or all of the above should be able to tell you the value of trees of certain types of wood above certain diameters.

You may be able to sell the timber with any value yourself, before the oil company comes in a tears up the rest.

Or, if you have a fire place, you could require them to cut and split your hardwoods and stack them in a barn or something. Just don't tell anybody I gave you that idea...

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=145

Looks Like you are in Texas so the Texas Forest Service posts prices. Click the link and then there is a click here button.

I would get someone out there to appraise your trees prior to the clearing. It may cost you a few dollars, but then you have an accurate appraisal on standing timber if they give you an inadequate check for your trees.

You hit that one out of the Ballpark, Brian! And I have a new site saved to My Favorites for future reference.

Charles