Company drilled and did not contact me

I own minerals in rosebud, Garfield, and treasure co Mt. 6 or more wells have Been drilled without contacting me or for lease agreement. What can I do and what are the penalties for this?

Are your name and address properly filed in the county courthouse where the minerals are located? Are any title or probate documents filed there as well. If they cannot find you, they cannot lease you. Contact the operator of the wells and find out why you have not been contacted. It is possible that there is a title issue or another reason why not. As to penalties, you would have to read the Montana Oil and Gas Code.

If you do in fact own minerals, the Company has to make a good faith effort to locate you prior to drilling. If they were unable to locate you, then your interest would have been force-pooled and your payments would only kick in after the Operator recoups their investment plus a statutory risk penalty. If you can demonstrate that you were easily findable, then you can petition the MT Board of Oil and Gas to have your interest reclassified.

I can tell you that there have not been any productive wells drilled in Treasure or Garfield Counties in decades. There have been a few wells drilled in Rosebud County over the last few years, but they have all been pretty poor producers. If you can provide me with the legal description of your minerals, I might be able to help you determine the status of your minerals.

This winter I got a check from a company that started producing on land where I have rights. Never heard from them till I got a check.

Contact the company that sent the check and ask for more information from the DIvision Order department as to why they are sending the check, why did they not contact you, etc. Send by certified mail, return receipt. Keep copies of everything.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.