Cline Shale Description

Cline Shale Description

The Cline Shale certainly has been going slowly. Any predictions for a timeline?

Hi Diana, I know this seems slow when you are waiting for something to happen but my land in Louisiana has been leased on and off since the 70s and still no well. We even had a permit issued last year and no well. In the Cline things are moving in hyper-drive but it is a big play (that is a good thing) this is going to take a generation to play out. I like to think long term. The oil is ther, it is not going anywhere, it is like money in the bank. It may just be my sons that get to make the withdrawal.

craig you are right on the money as what is going on,they will get the oil ,gas when the all mighty dollar is right and the ability to produce it to the market. but it really looks like all company's are gearing up for deeper and horizontal wells.The higher oil price allows for more of exploration, to most bigger is better.It is sure hard to set and wait when you know that oil is under your lease.I am working to see that the Rightful owners get what belongs to them in the future and that it does not go to some one who has stolen it from them. We don't have as much time now to get it right. Thanks to all for your in put. e dubose

I think it is a little odd how the "Cline Shale boom" has been so hyped and not have anything "booming."

I've never heard of a boom of any kind get announced so loudly and not be booming.

( Booming to me is drilling rigs lighting up the night sky in EVERY Permian County.)

All I have seen in my counties in the way of new drilling is the re-drilling of the same old fields. I guess that could be a "boom." It certainly isn't a bust.

A prediction?

I heard they haven't figured out how to drill it yet. Fairly reliable source, but still just gossip.

I heard that Texas oil is already over-producing the demand and that's why WTI prices are lower than BRENT crude. Until we reduce importing, it won't "boom" anymore. Makes since.

'We haven't been able to export what we produce' is something else that has been brought up. Whenever we can get it to the coast, Corpus Christi, Houston, and other ports, put it on a ship, get it through the Panama Canal and to China and beyond, well then we might get it booming.

In other words, I have no idea. I'm just throwing things out there. Just a few things that could be indicators as to "when."

G T very well said with production meeting the demand to refinery where the prices hold same to the consumer,the boom is just in some peoples heads.There is a lot of activity out there but it does not effect the price of oil to any great amount.chicken, eggs some what. the pipe line is full and no where to go with new production.Some efforts to rail oil in tank cars will help ,new pipe lines not enough to take care of what might be produced.If its and buts were fruits and nuts what a Merry Christmas we could have.

Want to see a boom come to Glasscock, Sterling, Irion, and Howard counties. I don't know where you live but I can tell you not all Cline acreage is not equal. It is akso easy to see that all oil companies are not equal. So in the early stages it will be the best units and the companies with the deepest pockets that will make a stir. Also if you are HBP it may be a long wait unless you are near existing infrastructure that can get the product to market.

What is HBP?

I get it. There's some booming going on there no doubt. But the hype doesn't match the boom.

The hype says:

"The IEA expects U.S. oil production rising to 10 million barrels per day (bpd) by 2015 and 11.1 million bpd in 2020."

10 million bpd in another 2 years? That's in addition to what we already produce. Now that's the boom I'm looking for.

It could happen. We have 730 days left and counting. Better get moving though.

I live in the Cline Shale zone and am hoping for a super-boom. I would like to see production reports on Cline Shale wells, but can find nothing on the Texas RRC website. If the Cline Shale has more economically recoverable oil than Saudi Arabia, it seems like major oil companies would be scrambling for positions with stock prices of existing players displaying dramatic increases. As far as I know, this isn't happening/hasn't happened. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=DVN&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q...

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/04/11/buzz-over-emerging-shale-for...

Across the U.S., drillers are finding shale formations they hope could become the next big oil play for the American energy industry. But hype over emerging oil fields, like Texas' Cline Shale, has highlighted worries about drilling companies' intentions. Read the full story at StateImpact Texas.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1411841-marcellus-mississippian-per...

"Building large acreage positions in promising plays, particularly at a time when the play is not sufficiently delineated a
nd cost of land is relatively low, is a strategy that operators often pursue to be able to pick and choose the best blocks to drill upon. The remainder of the position is often relinquished. It would be incorrect, therefore, to extrapolate "drilling location math" - which would be a legitimate tool for limited tracts of land designated for full development - on to the entire lease positions that often include hundreds of thousands and even millions of acres."

The Laredo Petroleum Investor pdf over on the "Cline Shale News" forum has some very good information about the findings that Laredo Petroleum has. They seem to be the most forthcoming with information that this group has seen. I had some time to review more carefully the presentation today.

Their holdings are shown overlaying a "road map" on page 91 of the pdf, but the sections of the presentation called Depositional History of the Midland Basin on page 19 and Geoscience Tool Box on page 30 helped me understand the geology.

My cautious side is telling me that this is the best prospect for oil and gas in the "Cline" that we have seen, some 2 years into this journey. (I was unable to access the pdf just now, so someone may have removed the document from the link.)

My general impression is that the full exploration of the Cline Shale by the various companies and their investors will take several more years. We just don't know yet.

The Cline Shale News forum is now closed for comments. Here is a link to a Laredo Petroleum document which may or may not be the exact same as the one you could not open. http://www.laredopetro.com/media/28666/investor_update_meeting.pdf

Thank you AJ for re-posting the link to the pdf. My comments do relate to this presentation.

IMHO, page 29 summarizes the presentation. "You need good rocks, and we have great rocks." Those rocks are located on a narrow south-to-north axis through Irion, Reagan, Glasscock and extreme southern Howard counties. This is shown in the presentation.

The Cline Shale News thread is closed for discussion at this time. AJ posted a very good link that has definitions of the terms used in many of the things that we read. I recommend that you read this article for some background material on shale, fracking, porosity, etc.

http://www.pennenergy.com/wirenews/oilgasnews/2013/10/13/unlocking-the-geological-secrets-buried-under-west-texas-br-br-cline-shale-may-be-ripe-for-extractin.html

Ralph T - Please post your excellent information as a stand alone topic on our website - it’s news, but as importantly it is technical outreach and thank you very much for bringing this to the table.

Regards,

Ralpr

Ralph T said:

The Cline Shale News thread is closed for discussion at this time. AJ posted a very good link that has definitions of the terms used in many of the things that we read. I recommend that you read this article for some background material on shale, fracking, porosity, etc.

http://www.pennenergy.com/wirenews/oilgasnews/2013/10/13/unlocking-...