Class action suit

A couple of weeks ago, I received a post card from Lee v. Trinity operation settlement c/o JND Legal Administration of Seattle. I received a check of a few hundred dollars a year or two ago. It had something to do with the producer not paying royalties. According to the post card, the previous payment did not include statutory interest. According to the card, the lawyers will get 40% + expenses and “administration costs”.

When the original suit was going on, my husband knew about it, but he passed in 2020.

Is this a ruse of some sort? If not, am I supposed to do something?

You do not have to do anything. These sorts of class action suits happen all the time. When they finally settle, you may get another check which is in proportion to the size of the minerals you own and the interest amounted that was determined.

An individual can opt out of a class action by doing so by a deadline. But doing so means that he/she won’t share in the settlement. Opting out means that you are free to seek you legal rights individually. However, this is often impractical for most owners because of the costs involved. I have never opted out of a class action. It is simply not worth my time to pursue a claim individually.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.