Claiming Ownership of Mineral Rights

About 2 yrs ago I was out in Okla doing some ancestry work and found out that my grandfather had some wells, there in Coal County. ( I think is in Wilson, Ok?) I did some work at Coal County courthouse to look up numerous "deeds/leases", etc to find he had approx 300 acres which he sold/gave to another; however he retained mineral rights. I found more leases that suceeded him after death in 1950- passed on to my grandmother, and then to my father/ aunt. Both my father and aunt have passed away several years ago, but my brother and I did not know anything about these. I drove out and saw 3 wells (along with a couple of others I'm not sure of) together on his old land-- and they still have his name on them! I've tried to contact couple of folks in Coal county, but cannot seem to locate a mineral rights attorney, or landman who could help us to take the next step to show every we are here and exist. We're in Virginia and that's a long way off to try to conduct business in Oklahoma--- and are very anxious to find someone in that area who would be willing to help represent us to take whatever next step is necessary to claim the ownership and go from there. Of course we are certainly willing to pay required fees to accomplish this!

Any help that any member here can give would be soooo appreciated!!! Perhaps the name of an indiv who handles that area, etc?

Deborah Clelland Meehan

You might want to start with a cheaper possibility. Contact the operator of the wells and inform them of your situation. By providing them with the paperwork necessary, you may not need an attorney. I think this would work...good luck!

Thanks so much for responding! I should have advised more. These wells are not operating at current time. I did contact the last known company that had anything to do with them, and according to what they told me, they capped them and nothing further has been done on them since about 2000. They quit responding to anything else we sent to them.

Deborah,

If you know the legal description of the 200 acres then you can fill out an affidavit of heirship and have it recorded at the county clerks office. That is a cheap method of claim, or you could do a probate but I wouldn't unless it was required by an oil company. Call the Oklahoma Corporation commission and ask if there are any producing wells. If you need an affidavit of heirship let me know and I'll send you one.

Deborah; You might look up the website for the State Treasurer of Oklahoma and check the unclaimed funds and check under every name you think they may be listed under. I have recovered some mineral rights owned bye my Grandfather and step father which we did not know they existed just bye checking the fund for names. If you find a name that you think could be associated with you they have a claim file system on line you can fill out, It may take a month for them to get back with you, but if you file a claim with them just keep in touch.

I do beleive I have a legal. This is a great way to start and see what happens. Wow- Excited that we might actually start something. If possible, yes, I could use that Affidavit. If you could send one that would be wonderful!! Thanks so very much, and we'll keep everyone informed!

Tim Metz said:

Deborah,

If you know the legal description of the 200 acres then you can fill out an affidavit of heirship and have it recorded at the county clerks office. That is a cheap method of claim, or you could do a probate but I wouldn't unless it was required by an oil company. Call the Oklahoma Corporation commission and ask if there are any producing wells. If you need an affidavit of heirship let me know and I'll send you one.

Thanks so much. I think I will try this. I beleive we did take a quick look but I think this is worth doing again. Then, as Tim suggested, I think we may try to file an Affidavit of Heirship and see where that goes? At least we can start something, and if we need legal help later, maybe someone on this GREAT site will that expertize and be able to assist! - Thanks again!

Richard Pruitt said:

Deborah; You might look up the website for the State Treasurer of Oklahoma and check the unclaimed funds and check under every name you think they may be listed under. I have recovered some mineral rights owned bye my Grandfather and step father which we did not know they existed just bye checking the fund for names. If you find a name that you think could be associated with you they have a claim file system on line you can fill out, It may take a month for them to get back with you, but if you file a claim with them just keep in touch.

Deborah,

I'll send you a friend request and then I'll send you the document in PDF. I have a couple styles but It's pretty simple.

Tim this is Tom, I have talked to you before about some minerals in carter or Stephens Co. I beleive you now have purchased some minerals in a sec I am picking up from another person. Please give me a call at 918-633-3525 if you would like to talk further about it. Thanks

Hey Tom: No, I have not spoken with anyone regarding minerals in Carter or Stephens Co? Maybe another Deborah? The wells I have been trying to get some data on are located in Coal County, OK. They are not operating and we are just at the stages of trying to claim the ownership. We are decendents of the deceased owner. Thanks for sending your note-- and sorry I could not be more help!

Tom Bay said:

Tim this is Tom, I have talked to you before about some minerals in carter or Stephens Co. I beleive you now have purchased some minerals in a sec I am picking up from another person. Please give me a call at 918-633-3525 if you would like to talk further about it. Thanks

Tim I would appreciate a copy ot the affadavit of heirship.

Thanks

Tim Metz said:

Deborah,

Rick and others,

I am attaching an affidavit that was sent to me by an oil company for you and others to use. I normally use a different version that's set up for me that contains the legal description. I advise you to file a death certificate of the person who holds title of record with this as an attachment. I don't remember if this has a place for the legal description but if not make certain you make a simple attachment that has the legal description so it can be indexed, just a page with the legal only on it will be sufficient.

2861-deathandheirshipaffidavitoilcompanysversion.pdf (2.36 MB)

I have about 10 others, 6 of which are my own and I see why I made my own after looking that one over. That one was sent to me by Sandridge Energy. I like one older I have seen that is a Manly, you might check their web site and order one other theirs if you like it, I made my own based off of Manly's.

Thanks for all your responses. You've been a great help and we hope that we will be on our way to getting these wells resolved so that our children don't have to sort all this out! Thanks again!

Tim Metz said:

I have about 10 others, 6 of which are my own and I see why I made my own after looking that one over. That one was sent to me by Sandridge Energy. I like one older I have seen that is a Manly, you might check their web site and order one other theirs if you like it, I made my own based off of Manly's.