Claiming mineral rights

I am a surface owner in PA with the mineral rights split up between hiers of the previous owners dating back to the 1920’s. The couple of heirs that I tracked down didn’t even realize that they where mineral right owners. Is there a way to claim the mineral rights on the property I own.

Are you asking if there is a way for you to own mineral rights owned by another?

If the heirs own the mineral rights to your property, you cannot “claim” them, short of buying the minerals.

Buddy Cotten said:

Are you asking if there is a way for you to own mineral rights owned by another?

Buddy Cotten
www.cottenoilproperties.com

Buddy Cotten said:

Buddy Cotten
www.cottenoilproperties.com

Thanks for replying. To clarify a little more. The original heirs have all passed away and the mineral rights are to pass to their heirs. Many of this generation have also passed and the mineral rights continue to pass. The heirs are spread through a couple generations and the family has lost touch with each other. There has been no activity with the mineral rights since the original deed. Is there a way to claim the mineral rights to the property I own. Thanks

Adverse Possession of minerals generally requires actual possession (drilling and production of oil and gas). IF that is the case in your state, I do not know.

Some states have dormant minerals statutes. I do not believe that that your state does, but can easily be determined by talking to an oil and gas attorney familiar with the laws where the property is located.

I am certainly no authority in PA and will quickly defer to those who are well versed in PA oil and gas law.

If there is truly not a dormant mineral statute, offer to purchase the mineral rights of those who are the actual owners. A reasonable rule of thumb in my experience is to offer triple the bonus amount of the last lease granted.

James Fragale said:

Thanks for replying. To clarify a little more. The original heirs have all passed away and the mineral rights are to pass to their heirs. Many of this generation have also passed and the mineral rights continue to pass. The heirs are spread through a couple generations and the family has lost touch with each other. There has been no activity with the mineral rights since the original deed. Is there a way to claim the mineral rights to the property I own. Thanks